Different tariffs

I switched to Bulb yesterday and received a confirmation mail and Welcome PDF. In this the terms and tariffs are listed. Today I logged into my account on the Bulb site to find the tariffs are different to those in the Welcome pack pdf, am I being conned ?

If you check, I think you’ll find that the figures in the welcome pack are exclusive of VAT, whereas the figures on the site include VAT.
I would prefer to see ALL tariff information quoted as ex-VAT, as that is the figure anyone doing any kind of statistical work will want, with a potentially variable VAT rate.
It’s easy enough to add 5 per cent (× 1·05) if the inclusive figure is required.

Highly unlikely, it could be the VAT element in the mix.
I am sure Bulb will explain.

I switched to Bulb yesterday and received a confirmation mail and Welcome PDF. In this the terms and tariffs are listed. Today I logged into my account on the Bulb site to find the tariffs are different to those in the Welcome pack pdf, am I being conned ?

You are not being conned. It is all to do with the dreaded 5% VAT.

In your welcome pack it says “Prices exclude VAT, which is charged at 5% for domestic supplies”, whereas in the “Accounts and Tariff” section of your dashboard it says: “Note: these prices include VAT”.

So if you multiply prices in your welcome pack by 1.05 it should work out to be the same as the tariff shown in your account on Bulb.

If you are selling Retail, then HMRC would expect prices to INCLUDE VAT, why are Bulb prices excluding VAT ???. Are you trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes ?

thesilentone
As is the case with other utility companies the VAT is quoted on your monthly statement. If you believe you have a case then I suggest you contact HMRC.....................good luck with that one.

@thesilentone

I’m a customer the same as you and I can’t see how Bulb are pulling the wool over our eyes.

As already explained by me and two other customers, one set of figures include VAT and the other doesn’t.

In your Account and Tariff section it clearly says “Note: these prices include VAT”, so this would satisfy your HMRC requirement.

If you check the bills from your previous suppliers it will show the unit cost and standing charge (excluding VAT), once the various calculations have been carried out the charges will then have VAT added to arrive at the final bill.

This is exactly what Bulb do in their billing.

I never considered my previous suppliers were pulling the wool over my eyes.by quoting unit cost and standard charges excluding VAT.

Agreed @Allanr.
@thesilentone Notwithstanding my own preference as mentioned above…
Services, goods, utilities, pretty well anything, it’s absolutely normal to quote inclusive prices or charges, but for the ex-VAT amount and the VAT itself to be itemised on an invoice, bill, statement etc.

Agreed @Allanr. @thesilentone Notwithstanding my own preference as mentioned above... Services, goods, utilities, pretty well anything, it's absolutely normal to quote inclusive prices or charges, but for the ex-VAT amount and the VAT itself to be itemised on an invoice, bill, statement etc.

if that is the case, why do Bulb quote inc VAT on some and ex VAT on others ?

Hello @thesilentone

As @198kHz @scudo @Allanr mention, OFGEM require us to show the unit rates without VAT on our Welcome Pack, so as confusing as that may be to see different rate to what you see on our website, that is what we are legally required to show.

Hello @thesilentone

As @198kHz @scudo @Allanr mention, OFGEM require us to show the unit rates without VAT on our Welcome Pack, so as confusing as that may be to see different rate to what you see on our website, that is what we are legally required to show.

Then why not be consistent and advertise them on your website ex VAT if this is what the regulator requires. In addition why is the regulator at odds to HMRC ?

@thesilentone Some price comparison sites do list them exc. VAT during sign up. I think it’s much more transparent to include VAT during sign up, as per our website. This allows the monthly quote calculations to make sense. I think a lot more people would feel conned if we listed prices exc. VAT during sign up and then they saw something different on their bill.

I really don’t see this as an issue, as long as a price/tariff/rate is prominently labelled
ex-VAT or inc VAT