Direct Generator vs Wholesale Market

Is it possible to report upon how much of bulb’s supply comes from direct relationships with generators versus backfill from the wholesale market? Ideally, this would be reported on our monthly bills.

Further, can you report upon what offset schemes are used for natural gas consumption and their rating by respected rating bodies? Have you considered removal schemes rather than offset schemes.

Hey @StuartHomer :earth_africa:

Great idea! We’ve passed this over to see if incorporating it into monthly bills would be feasible.

We have direct contracts with generators (PPAs) and the amount they provide can vary depending on the day. We have enough PPAs with renewable generators to meet up to 40% of our members’ demand. We buy the rest of our electricity on the wholesale market with a REGO to match.

In terms of our carbon reduction projects, at the moment we are working with ClimateCare. We’ll also be announcing some new projects we’re working with shortly, and we’ll be able to talk more about this then!

Every carbon offset certificate Bulb buys is verified through 1 of 3 internationally recognised standards: the Gold Standard, the Verified Carbon Standard or the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)'s Clean Development Mechanism.

We have a post about carbon offsetting here & blog posts about our projects, too, if you’re interested ! :relaxed:

Thank you for the response. 40% PPA’s is disappointingly low considering the perception of REGO certificates and their validity. I suspect this is reflective of your growth exceeding supply contracts. Do you have a corporate target you’re aiming for, ensuring for example you meet the average base load of all customers and only buying unexpected peak demand from the wholesale market. Do you have any plans to add battery storage to your PPA contracts to deal with the sometimes transient nature of renewable supply to minimise the need to buy from the wholesale market during peaks?

Have you considered reduction schemes rather than offsetting, such as climeworks? Offsetting schemes are purely paying someone else not to emit so we can.

Hey Eleanor,

If you still track this number, I would be really interested to know what it is.

In fact, I think it is something Bulb could do more to promote transparency about, especially given the Tech Zero coalition Bulb is currently setting up.

Thanks!

Hi @laurence.watson :wave:

Welcome to the community :raised_hands:

Energy purchased directly from generators varies greatly on any given day but we have capacity for PPAs to make up 40% of our generation. We buy the rest of our electricity on the wholesale market with a REGO to match.

Yes, we do want to promote transparency. Thank you for your feedback on this - I will let the team know. :green_heart:

Thanks,
Mel

The 40% number quoted relies on their PPA generators being at 100% load and it being 2am when their customers aren’t using any energy.

In reality this is probably a lot lower, my guess below 10% easily.

Bulb used to quote the annual % of electricity which came from PPA as 20%, so it’s plain to see that they’ve gone backwards in regards to transparency.

Hi @StuartHomer, @laurence.watson and @UnclaimedEnergy, :wave:

I have merged your threads together as your queries were similar.

This is a really important topic, particularly as the market for renewables grows. When Bulb started, only 1% of households were on renewable tariffs and now that figure is more than 30%.

We support UK generators and we recently signed around 30 new PPAs with small, family-run businesses. We use REGOs as long as the governance is strong and we know that the certificates support renewable generators in the UK. You’re right that the UK needs more installed renewable capacity, and grid-scale storage solutions like batteries to balance the intermittency when the wind isn’t blowing or the sun not shining. This will mean more suppliers can supply more electricity from PPAs. :sun_with_face:

We’re also helping people manage and reduce their energy use, which is essential to meet net zero targets by 2050. We’re building new technology like energy management options for EV drivers, and better domestic battery technology to help cut carbon emissions.

Let me know if you have any further questions :raised_hands:

We seek to continually improve and value your feedback on these important topics. :deciduous_tree:

Thanks,
Mel