Discussion: Will we see a noticeable shift to electric vehicles in the next 10 years?

Hi everyone! :wave:

News on Tuesday in The Guardian that electricity car batteries could soon charge as quickly as it takes to fill up your petrol/diesel.

The CEO of this battery company claims that “the number one barrier to the adoption of electric vehicles is no longer cost, it is range anxiety.” The argument seems to be that electric vehicles would be a lot more attractive if the charging experience was more like fuelling up at a petrol station. He claims that “BP has 18,200 forecourts and they understand that, 10 years from now, all these stations will be obsolete, if they don’t repurpose them for charging – batteries are the new oil.”

Do you think there’ll be a noticeable shift to electric vehicles in the next 10 years? Have you already made the change to an electric vehicle?

The article mentions that these faster-charging batteries would require much higher-powered chargers, which would have implications for green energy and the grid’s current capacity. Can you see the grid ultimately being ‘upgraded’ to accommodate this, seeing as batteries are increasingly seen as crucial to renewable energy?

While I’m optimistic about the new technology, I have some reservations about some of the logistical challenges involved, such as the co-ordinated investment in grid infrastructure that will be required to accommodate such a big change.

Do you agree that the biggest barrier to electric vehicles is range, not cost? :thinking: I’d be really interested to hear your thoughts and opinions.

If you’re looking for more information about our provision for electric vehicles, you can find out more here: https://bulb.co.uk/electric-vehicles/

1 Like

Cost is the issue for me

also not enough charging ports for it to take off. I only know 1 person with an electric car

Hey @JackHarney,

Thanks for your response - welcome back to Community!

Infrastructure is definitely a big barrier for EV progression, but it’s hopefully (:crossed_fingers:) something that won’t be the case for too long. The government have big plans for the UK’s development of EV infrastructure and more generally how we can be reducing emissions from road transport - you can read more about it in The Road to Zero, the governments 2018 outline for new measures to clean up road transport and lead the world in the developing, manufacturing and using zero emission road vehicles.

And hopefully with better infrastructure, and EVs becoming the ‘norm’ for road transport - the price of EVs will start to reflect that! If the price came down and you knew charging ports were readily available, would you considering buying one? I know I’d be tempted…

Georgie

I already have a fully electric car, and it’s the perfect match to a supplier of renewable energy like Bulb. The car is the best car I’ve ever had, it’s silent, fast and has a range of 250 miles. The infrastructure point is of course valid for those occasions when you need to drive more than 250 miles. But the solution is to install a home charging point, which is quick and easy (and government grants are available to help with the cost), and then it’s just like your mobile phone. When you get home in the evening you plug your car in and it will be fully charged by the next morning. It couldn’t be more convenient and you’re saving the planet too. And my children love the car and love the fact we’re helping to save the planet too. So the winning combination is electric car + home charger + Bulb’s renewable electricity

1 Like

Hey @GiantBiker - welcome to Community!

Thank you for the lovely review of your Electric Vehicle. It’s definitely easy to get bogged down with a few drawbacks of EVs, and forget the important real benefit to the planet they are having! :world_map:

If you don’t mind sharing, which EV do you have? I’d love to know which car it is that has made you so fond of them (definitely not for my own personal shopping basket…) :oncoming_automobile: :heart:

All the best,
Georgie

Hey @GeorgieS_at_Bulb

It’s a Jaguar I Pace. To be honest I think the biggest factor limiting the uptake of electric cars is the price of them as the batteries make up a massive proportion of the cost of the car at the moment. However there are some decent lease deals and like any new technology the more people who enter the market the cheaper it will get. Either way a home charger is a must.

There’s more affordable EVs out there these days, sometimes you wonder how cheap the rest of the car is if the battery makes up more of the cost. The Leaf must cost about 4p.

Also Honda E appreciation post

1 Like

I agree, EV batteries will only go up in value in the future unless they design a more cost-affordable alternative to them. But I do really believe the EV market is going to be huge within the next 10 years.

Also, many major EV manufacturers are doing the top-down approach, producing high-end cars before producing more affordable models (Nio are working on this).

Here’s me hoping Lucid will come to the UK and will work to create more affordable EVs, only a dream for now :pensive:

Of course we will see EV’s take off, that’s because we will be made to have them and its nothing to do with the environment it’s big business generating money. Remember diesels were the car to have? Now apparently they are the worst polluters. Lets get rid of single use plastic? Ah glass is heavier to transport and paper isn’t as strong so we need to make more so worse for the environment. Remember the government saying free road tax to all low emission cars? Ah sorry change of plan we can’t sustain that how about £140 for all. So lets look at EV’s the future…batteries are incredibly expensive but don’t worry you can buy a warranty package for X amount a month which of course removes the bonus of free road tax. Free road tax will only be sustained on the uptake of EV’s then of course it will change. Charging points will need to be everywhere and that will cost, but make no mistake that will cost us all, if its tesco putting them in the car park and your shopping going up or other companies putting them elsewhere we will pay. Will the grid need upgrading? I don’t know but if it does I know my electric bill is going up! And then when we are all electric in many years to come some boffin will make the statement “we shouldn’t have done this its far worse on the environment having to generate so much energy”. My biggest concern and probably the only thing that makes me NOT want an EV is that all of the revenue lost from fuel has to be clawed back by the government somehow and being in bed with the electricity companies is how, 17-20p per Kwh now see what it is when we depend on it for our transport in the future from the unregulated suppliers £2 per Kwh with half of that as tax? Crazy x

Would definitely go for it if the cost came down @GeorgieS_at_Bulb

agreed @Jason35x electricity prices will go up and I hadn’t thought about costs of adding charging ports

1 Like

@JackHarney It looks like the price is predicted to keep on coming down.

There are some grants and incentives available like the OZEV grant. But yes, the price of electricity predicted to increase is another cost factor.

I think another interesting point is car ownership, with the rise of car sharing e.g. Zip Car. Although that wouldn’t be as easy in rural settings

Interesting points made but just feel like electric cars cant match up to the driving experience of petrol and diesel and as a huge car fan, its holding me back from considering it. Anyone got any experience with driving elec and whats the best to convert a self confessed petrolhead?