Diversity

Dear Bulb and Caroline
I am very interested in your diversity program.
However I fully support James Damore and his fight with Google
What is required is Equality of Opportunity, not Equality of Outcome…
The best person for the job is what is required, not fulfilling ‘Quotas’.
Thus, in contrast, I would broadly support your “blind recruiting tool”.
I would be very interested in your views on the Damore topic.
Regards
Michael Warren

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your post.

I’m afraid we don’t agree with James Damore’s view that biological factors make men more suited to either technology or leadership roles. As a high performance business we do believe in scrupulously meritocratic recruitment processes. We also have seen the overwhelming evidence that more diverse businesses outperform those that are less so. So, often a candidate with a unique viewpoint will be the better hire, all other things being equal.

We’ve worked really hard to make our recruitment pipeline more diverse and that has had an impact on the make up of the team. We don’t and won’t set quotas, but we do work hard to make sure we present our opportunities to a more diverse set of potential candidates and to phrase them in a way that doesn’t unintentionally bias them to a certain group.

Sincerely,
Caroline

Dear Caroline
Thank you very much for your response.
I am very glad to read that you believe in “scrupulously meritocratic recruitment processes”, but obviously disappointed that you are not a supporter of Mr Damore who, I feel, was sacrificed on the altar of political correctness.
However, I believe research evidence is very strong that whilst women tend to prefer and on average are better at ‘people’ skills, men tend to be a little better at skills involving ‘things’ and ‘puzzles’.
I would be very happy if you could find the time to watch this very concise piece by Helena Cronin (Fairness vs. Sameness); I am sure you would find it of interest and not feel that it was time wasted:

I would also be very interested if you could link me to a piece that pointed in the opposite direction.
Very best regards
Michael Warren

@mw27818 I found that clip very interesting. I can’t find fault with anything that Helena says, but don’t think you’ll find many people with the same opinion.

As a high performance business we do believe in scrupulously meritocratic recruitment processes.

That’s all that really matters - equality of opportunity.

@mw27818 Thanks for the video link - always good to see a scientist from the Faculty of The Bleedin’ Obvious confirming our everyday observations.

The two monkey studies which the video references one of make interesting reading too:

2002 - http://www.ehbonline.org/article/S1090-5138(02)00107-1/pdf

2008 - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2583786/

As there was no study referenced for newborn babies and the studies above were of primates of significant intelligence, presumably exposed to humans on a regular basis, I still wonder whether there are any results that truly show without a doubt that there is a biological difference. Remember that primates in captivity are often given toys like children are (outside of this study) - did these conform to gender stereotypes?

198 kHz
Not obvious to some, I fear.