Does anybody actually have a fully functioning smart meter and IHD?

Does anybody actually have a fully functioning smart meter (all the time) that communicates accurate information to bulb and the IHD about the energy they are using and is this data being used to generate an accurate monthly bill?

Funny, I’ve also thought about asking that question and you’ve beaten me to it. Getting fed up with this whole debacle now as no one answers your questions and CS have just buried their heads in the sand hoping the issue will go away. Would be nice to hear a truthful honest answer and a true timescale of when the issues are going to be sorted.

I’m halfway there. IHD is fully working, but last bill estimated. :frowning:

Over the few months I’ve had an IHD it has slowly got more reliable. Started where it would be off for days then come on for a day or two. Now it stays on most of the time. My big gripe is that no readings are transmitted to Bulb and the ability to input readings has been removed from my accounts page. They once used readings I emailed but seem to have ignored my latest submitted readings. I asked that they inform me when the dumb meter finally becomes smart but haven’t had confirmation they will do this. It’s a shame as I had British Gas smart meters for many years which worked faultlessly.

Over the few months I've had an IHD it has slowly got more reliable. Started where it would be off for days then come on for a day or two. Now it stays on most of the time. My big gripe is that no readings are transmitted to Bulb and the ability to input readings has been removed from my accounts page. They once used readings I emailed but seem to have ignored my latest submitted readings. I asked that they inform me when the dumb meter finally becomes smart but haven't had confirmation they will do this. It's a shame as I had British Gas smart meters for many years which worked faultlessly.

Firstly let me apologise for the frustration regarding everyone’s smart meter issues. We are working around the clock to get these issues fixed for everyone and working through cases oldest to newest in getting them fixed. Unlike the 1st generation smart meter mapman had with British Gas these new 2nd generation ones are much more complex and all suppliers are experiencing issues with them. As with all new technology that is rolled out nationwide there have been teething issues.

If you haven’t already seen our blog post on this info please read this link provided. https://bulb.co.uk/blog/an-update-on-our-smart-installations

Many thanks,

Full working here after problems initially. Installed 8th April

I naively said to friends when I got the smart meter (which was prompted by my gas meter needing to be replaced due to its age) that at the very least I wouldn’t be any worse off; I’d still be able to manually read the meter and send in the readings, and in the long term it should become automated.

I was wrong. Like many others I have an IHD that sometimes works, but also like others my meter seems unable to send readings to Bulb. I’m unable to submit them online either. I did, however, manage to get one done manually (gas) by contacting Bulb, but the other (electricity) seems impossible. So estimated electricity bills it is for now.

It’s only been a month though, so I guess I’ve got a while to wait before they get around to sorting mine out :anguished:

Still not working properly for me after over 2 weeks and multiple promises to resolve. I’m surprised after such excellent service from Bulb since I joined.

Mine hasn’t worked since the so called smart meters were installed 7 weeks ago.
Keep emailing the “help” desk and then getting the same fob off replies,usually 4 days later telling me that the ihd has been reset and it should work in 48 hours!

Mine has never worked.

This is the email I sent to Bulb today:

Dear Sir,

I am writing a fomal letter of complaint regarding the installation and non operation of my Smart meter Installed on behalf of bulb.

•There meter was installed on 31stof May 2019

•Since installation I have not had a statement of my account or a correct balance

•According to you, Bulb are not able to receive my Smart Meter readings

◦I note that from 1st of July my account shows daily electricity meter readings that appear to be accurate against my meter

◦I note that on 3rd and 4th of July you received gas reading that appear to be accurate against my meter

•Online shows an inaccurate metering (see attached)

◦Daily usage shows in excess of £1,000,000

•My IHD has never correctly worked, it has worked sporadically, but never for more than a few hours.

•Bulb customer service has been poor

◦Long wait times of up-to 30 mins on the phone

◦Inconsistent advice and various instructions that have failed to resolve the issues

What you need to in response to this complaint

•Please respond with an explanation of the causes of these issues

•Please respond with a timetable to fix these issue

What action I will take in the response is unsatisfactory

•I will raise a complaint with the Energy Ombudsman

Sincerely

I didn’t even receive an IHD. The guy who came and set up the smart meters said he had none left on the van. Then I got an email from Bulb saying that they are receiving gas readings but not electricity so I have to keep sending them manually. Still waiting for my IHD although judging by this post it wouldn’t work anyway.

I’m still waiting for my IHD after 6 months and I’m about to escalate my complaint to the ombudsman. Bulb customer services appear powerless to push the smart meter team to take action or prioritise customers who have experienced long delays.

(It didn’t help that the fitter, who said he would return with the IHD in a few weeks, marked the job as completed. I can no longer give online readings. Bulb’s emails asking for readings are becoming increasingly pushy.)

Ombudsman for me next week.

Ombudsman for me next week.

Good. They need a kick, because it is a shambles. First thing they need to do is restore my ability to submit my meter reading online 'putting the smart bit back into meter reading). Secondly they need to give me an updated account statement.

Update. So to be fair to Bulb I have to report ny IHD has started working today. Will see if it continues to work. No updated account statement as of yet.

c

Update. So to be fair to Bulb I have to report ny IHD has started working today. Will see if it continues to work. No updated account statement as of yet.

So it has stopped working… Again!. Works for about 24 hours, loses electricity data and reverts to waiting on data. Then I go through the whole reset thing again. Very, Very, very frustrating.

Well the latest reply about my non working IHD from Bulb, The problem would appear to be a rarer issue or a problem with a non existent metal structure or perhaps my house can’t support an IHD or could it be a manufacturing problem?
The excuses get better by the day.

Elpitha (Bulb Help)

Jul 3, 08:46 BST
Hi John,

As explained previously, if your IHD is still not working after following the steps in your Bulb account, then, unfortunately, it’s likely that either your IHD is having a rarer issue that we’re not able to fix yet, or that your property cannot support an IHD for some reason.

Although we can repair the majority of problems that an IHD can have, there are still some rare cases where the existing fixes don’t work.
We’ve raised these issues with the manufacturer of the IHDs, who are currently working to get to the bottom of them. Once they’ve done this, we can revisit your issue and hopefully get things moving for you.

There is also the chance that your property can’t support an IHD. Though this is less likely, there are cases where this happens either due to excessive interference from other devices, from large metallic structures in or around the property, or something else. If you have troubles with WiFi signal in your home then this could be the cause.
Best,
Elpitha

c

So it has stopped working… Again!. Works for about 24 hours, loses electricity data and reverts to waiting on data. Then I go through the whole reset thing again. Very, Very, very frustrating.

Now it is working again, after yet another reset. Going through menu it can see both my gas and electricity meter readings and it agrees with actual meter. Bulb also have both gas and electricity meter readings taken today showing on my online account. So clearly it capable of working, and clearly my meters are talking to the ZigBee. So how come it is so unreliable. Why does it stopping working after a short period.

The so called smart meter hasn’t worked properly since its been fitted. Every month now I get an estimated bill, which I’m becoming quite dubious about. This wouldn’t be so bad if I could submit a proper set of readings to offset the estimates. But I can’t, because the facility to do so has been removed from my account. This is all becoming highly suspicious and disconcerting. Customer comments about poor support, payment based on estimated readings and yet no way to correct them. It was only just recently that some energy based companies went out of business and I wonder if this one is about to follow suit. Am I just being paranoid? Or should I just follow the advice often reapeated by Martin Lewis’s website and just SWITCH to another provider!