Dramatic energy cost savings - thanks to a bulb

The link was just too tempting not to make, but it seems that bulb, or more specifically the LED bulb, might be responsible for a truly dramatic impact on energy consumption not just for individual households but nationally.

According to recent research published on Bloomberg and by University of California at Berkeley, the humble LED lightbulb is responsible for an ‘epochal’ shift in domestic energy consumption which despite everything has actually been falling in the US since 2007.

https://bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-05-09/the-economy-changing-power-of-the-led-bulb

That seems like good news for everyone and an extra incentive to do our own bit at home to make our own lights that bit more efficient - good for the planet as well as for our bills.

Thanks to (the) bulb!

@thirstforwine Great article! It’s great to see that such a small change on an individual level can have such a huge impact on the total B)

I’d be interested to see the level of take-up of LEDs in the UK and whether we have seen a similar reduction in demand attributable to LEDs.

I recently fitted nine led ceiling lights in my lounge five Watts each that’s forty five Watts. Less than the two forty watt bulbs I used to run and much brighter.

LEDs are great, I changed every bulb in my house about two years ago and I haven’t had to change a bulb since.

I remember how awful the old energy saving bulbs were, which I think put a lot of people off alternatives to the old school type, but I can’t see a thing wrong with the ones I’ve got.

Are there actually any kind of lights that should not use LED bulbs? The only one I can think of is an oven bulb? Or any kind of condition that means certain people shouldn’t use them, e.g. people with epilepsy or frequent migraines? Because if not perhaps it is time for governments to legislate incandescent bulbs out of mainstream existence?

Are there actually any kind of lights that should not use LED bulbs? The only one I can think of is an oven bulb?

I’ve had a lot of trouble with dimmable ones. You have to spend extra but they are supposed to work, but if you have a brighter light in a room and want it to be controllable, it doesn’t seem a stretch to allow them to dim without buzzing. They also seem to ‘expire’ much faster.

Other than that, those we’ve changed have been OK but probably need to replace with fittings specially designed for them rather than our legacy lamps.

Are there actually any kind of lights that should not use LED bulbs? The only one I can think of is an oven bulb?

I’ve had a lot of trouble with dimmable ones. You have to spend extra but they are supposed to work, but if you have a brighter light in a room and want it to be controllable, it doesn’t seem a stretch to allow them to dim without buzzing. They also seem to ‘expire’ much faster.

Other than that, those we’ve changed have been OK but probably need to replace with fittings specially designed for them rather than our legacy lamps.

I bookmarked this article from last year on the off-chance that I ever get round to replacing our current dimmable tungsten circuit with an LED one : http://luxreview.com/article/2016/02/10-things-you-must-know-before-you-dim-led-lamps
It’s a minefield out there when it comes to dimming LEDs! :slight_smile:

That’s really useful, thanks so much @rubberfunk

When I was in my local Tesco supermarket on the weekend I noticed they now only sold LED and halogen bulbs (with the exception of oven bulbs), and of course the latter will be banned from next year. So it seems retailers have already cottoned onto the shift and are actively removing old style bulbs from sale.