Dual rate electricity

Hi, I recently joined Bulb and so far you guys have impressed me with your service so I would just like to start with a thank you. My question is that I would like to know if it’s possible to retro fit a dual rate meter. We recently bought an electric car and I would like to make use of the cheaper tariff charge on ‘economy 7’, if Bulb offer such an option. I don’t have a suitable meter at the moment but is there way this can be done.

Yes they can arrange for someone to fit one, but it costs around £100.

You’ll most likely be offered a smart meter at some point this year, at which point is should be free to switch to E7.

So I’d suggest you do some ‘quick math’ and work out whether you’re better off waiting for a smart meter or not, assuming you want one! If not, pay the ~£100.

Thanks phproxy. I dont suppose you would know what the economy 7 traffic would be? And what that would mean for the day rate?

It varies. Get a new quote and click on ‘refine quote’ or something similar.

Mine was ~6p E7, +1p normal time…

Hi @Liphookfattyman - confirming what @phproxy has said. We’ll be offering smart meters to our members towards the middle of this year, at which point it will be easy to switch you from standard rates to E7. Would you like me to put you on the smart meter trial waitlist? You can trial our smart meter installation before we offer them to everyone. In the meantime you can check the differences in rates at https://bulb.co.uk/tariff by checking the “I have an Economy 7 meter for my electricity” box at the bottom.