Early exit fee refund

Where do I send my bill to claim my refund for early exit fee

From https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001227591-What-about-exit-fees-from-my-current-supplier- :

If you leave another supplier with more than 49 days left on a fixed contract, you may be charged an exit fee. But don’t worry, we’ll refund any charges made to you.

All you need to do is email in a copy, photocopy or scan of your final bill to help@bulb.co.uk and we’ll credit your Bulb account on the same day.

Just make sure that the supply address, bill date and exit fee charges are all clearly displayed.

Thanks for your help with this one @RichyB :slight_smile: