Economy 7 meter

Hello there, would it be possible to switch from my single rate meter to economy 7 pls? Is it free or do you charge it? Thanks Tomas

@avetom We could arrange for this, but we do charge £98.90 for the replacement. Drop us an email to help@bulb.co.uk if you are interested!

@avetom, at that price, you’d probably be far better off waiting until the middle of next year when you’ll get a smart meter for free (which will be able to do Economy 7 as standard).

It seems unlikely you’d manage to save £100 in 6-8 months switching to an economy 7 meter now.

@mowcius thanks for advising me!

@“DanP at Bulb” could you please confirm that SmartMeters will do day / night rate and you’ll switch them for free?

@avetom Yes, they would be able to and yes they will be free!

@avetom, at that price, you'd probably be far better off waiting until the middle of next year when you'll get a smart meter for free (which will be able to do Economy 7 as standard).

It seems unlikely you’d manage to save £100 in 6-8 months switching to an economy 7 meter now.

Great advice @mowcius with 1 BIG caveat, how likely is it that Bulb will have a full rollout plan for middle of next year?

All I have seen is mention of trials, and as suppliers have to forecast comms hubs (part of the metering setup for Smart) orders at least 10 months in advance, with a final order 5 months in advance. I would have hoped for more concrete plans being shared as middle of next year is 6 months away - in fact, the final order for comms hubs for May 2018 delivery should have been placed by 25th November.

And that’s before we get into the shortage of meters and engineers to install them as suppliers start to go crazy to try and hit the deadlines.

Just for the original poster to consider if there are decent cost savings in his property for E7.

how likely is it that Bulb will have a full rollout plan for middle of next year?

That is a very good point. Presuming Bulb are still looking for volunteers, perhaps @avetom would like to be on the smart meter trial to ensure he gets one a bit earlier.

@avetom, what is your thinking behind wanting to switch to Economy 7? If it’s house heating with properly run storage heaters, or for charging an electric car regularly overnight then it might be worth your while getting a new meter sooner.

@mowcius no, I can see the only savings in using appliances overnight - washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer on delay start. We’ve got really economical gas heating system.

I’ll apply for the trial and wait until it’s free. No point to spend £100 for the earlier exchange.