Economy 7 off peak hours

Hello
We move to the Bulb economy 7 tariff tomorrow.
Please can you tell me my off peak hours at my home postcode: TN2 4RS
Many thanks
Russell Burcombe

Hi @burcombe ,

Your Economy 7 hours will be the same as your previous supplier (these don’t change) and may be marked on your meter. For the Kent area (yes, I recognise the first part of your postcode…), these hours are typically 22:30-00:30 and 02:30-07:30 GMT (so, until this Sunday when we switch from BST back to GMT, it’ll be 23:30-01:30 and 03:30-08:30 BST). Depending on the exact type of meter, it may use the Radio 4 time signal to keep track of the time or it may use its own internal clock - which may slip over time (like our microwave does - it’s 20 minutes out now in the space of about 4 months) so it’s worth just checking the time on the meter to see what it thinks the time is.

However, it’s possible your meter is on a different tariff time then ‘typical’ for your area, in that case just drop Bulb an email at help@bulb.co.uk ( see https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001240291-How-can-I-get-in-touch-with-Bulb- ) if you really want to be certain.

And if the meter’s internal clock has ‘time slipped’ how do we go about getting it set correctly? The time my storage heaters are turned on is dictated to by the building and I’m currently paying full price electricity for the first 15 minutes after my storage heaters have been turned on.
I’ve no idea yet how much a year extra that’s costing me (yet), though it needs remedying.

Please don’t suggest I ask the landlord to change the time the storage heaters come on, I want the time in my meter correcting.

Thanks!

Hi @anth0ny ,

According to https://conversation.which.co.uk/home-energy/economy-7-energy-meter-clock-overpayments/ :

it is the supplier’s responsibility to ensure meter clocks are correct. However, current rules don’t require suppliers to check the clocks.

They do say suppliers must take ‘reasonable steps’ to ensure the accuracy of the amount and time the electricity was supplied – but this isn’t exactly the same thing.

If you suspect your electricity meter is faulty, the supplier must investigate. But this means the emphasis is on you to check.

I’d drop Bulb an email at help@bulb.co.uk (as it’s not that urgent and so calling them etc via the details on https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001240291-How-can-I-get-in-touch-with-Bulb- probably isn’t worth it), however, whilst they are responsible for “the meters currently allocated to them” to be accurate, I know there are ‘allowed tolerances’ (for example, it can ‘mis-read’ the actual electricity used by +2.5% to -3.5% and be within the prescribed limits)), but I’ve got no idea what the tolerances are for actual clock times.

It might just be worth waiting for the new Smart Meters to be honest.

Yeah! Thanks @RichyB honestly I have no desire to get a Smart Meter and they possibly won’t work here anyway, the meter being 2 floors below my Flat in a basement (I live in an old converted church).

I have already tried to have a conversation at help@bulb.co.uk and over 3 emails the answer you’ve just given me was avoided, not resolving or informing me as you just done. Thanks for that.

I’ll digest the info you’ve shared and get back to help@bulb.co.uk to hopefully resolve the issue.

Thanks again.

@burcombe Your E7 meter times will be between 0030-0730.

@anth0ny E7 meters are allowed to be 30 mins out of the current time and additionally do not change with BST so for half of the year can be out by an additional 1 hour.

Anything more than this and we can replace the meter though, just get in touch if this is the case.

@“DanP at Bulb”

@anth0ny E7 meters are allowed to be 30 mins out of the current time and additionally do not change with BST so for half of the year can be out by an additional 1 hour.

Anything more than this and we can replace the meter though, just get in touch if this is the case.

Allowed by what please? Specifically?

@burcombe Your E7 meter times will be between 0030-0730.

I have switched from EDF to bulb recently.
The E7 hours are 0030-0730 but it moves along with DST, which bulb doesn;t

What hours will I be on now? The meter has been reporting my usage with higher day rate because I thought I’m using Bulb times (0130-0830!)

Hi there, Please can you tell me what my night time hours are?

Hi @K8_F1 , your nighttime hours are all days from 0030-0730. Your Day hours are all Weekdays & Weekends from 0000-0030, 0730-2400.