Economy 7 Price Increase in November

Hi all,

Can anyone advise me what the new unit rates for E7 customers will be after the upcoming price increase?

Also, I’m only using 20% of my elec on the night rate. Can I be switched to a single rate tariff? I spoke to an advisor and he said not.

I work in the industry and it’s standard practice to simply add the rates together & bill on a single rate tariff. It seems odd you don’t offer this.

Hi @Jesusaur ,

Can anyone advise me what the new unit rates for E7 customers will be after the upcoming price increase?

You should have been notified of the new prices by email around the 10th of September (when they were announced with the 60 days notice). If you’ve mislaid this email, it can be found in https://account.bulb.co.uk (or click ‘Sign in’ in the top right corner) and go to ‘Account and Tariff Info’. The rates shown on that page will be the current rates, but if you scroll down to ‘Messages’ you’ll see a message dated around the 10th of September titled ‘Variable Price Change Email’ which will contain the new rates.

Don’t want to login? I’ll tell you a little secret. As soon as any price rise is officially announced, new customers will automatically be put onto it (existing customers get 60 days of the old tariff as a notice period) - therefore Bulb’s homepage and tariff page at https://bulb.co.uk/tariff will always show the ‘new/forthcoming’ prices.

Why can’t I provide the prices here? Well, they do vary a bit depending on your area (due to distribution costs charged to Bulb) and so entering your postcode on Bulb’s site is the easiest way to get the accurate prices.

Also, I’m only using 20% of my elec on the night rate. Can I be switched to a single rate tariff? I spoke to an advisor and he said not.

Yes and no. You can be switched to a single rate tariff, but it’ll involve changing your meter (and not a straight tariff switch). From http://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/comment/22157/#Comment_22157 :

Unfortunately, we are indeed not able to change a tariff to a 1-rate tariff if you would have a 2-rate meter.

The reason for this is that, in cases of Economy 7 meters, we are buying in electricity at peak/off peak prices on the wholesale market. Our tariff follows the wholesale prices, therefore the tariffs will also follow the specific meter setup (i.e. E7 or normal 1-rate).

As Richy mentioned, you could exchange the meter for £120. If your off-peak usage is at least 35% it is normally beneficial to be on a 2-rate meter.

I work in the industry and it’s standard practice to simply add the rates together & bill on a single rate tariff. It seems odd you don’t offer this.

I believe that Bulb did used to do this, but because of the differing prices they were being charged they were losing quite a bit of money for the ‘combined’ pricing and hence to keep prices low for everybody, they discontinued this practice (other, usually large, suppliers are willing to take the ‘hit’ as their unit costs [usage] tend to be higher - Bulb has relatively low unit costs but a higher standing charge).

Hi @Jesusaur ,

You should have been notified of the new prices by email around the 10th of September (when they were announced with the 60 days notice). If you’ve mislaid this email, it can be found in https://account.bulb.co.uk (or click ‘Sign in’ in the top right corner) and go to ‘Account and Tariff Info’. The rates shown on that page will be the current rates, but if you scroll down to ‘Messages’ you’ll see a message dated around the 10th of September titled ‘Variable Price Change Email’ which will contain the new rates.

Don’t want to login? I’ll tell you a little secret. As soon as any price rise is officially announced, new customers will automatically be put onto it (existing customers get 60 days of the old tariff as a notice period) - therefore Bulb’s homepage and tariff page at https://bulb.co.uk/tariff will always show the ‘new/forthcoming’ prices.

Why can’t I provide the prices here? Well, they do vary a bit depending on your area (due to distribution costs charged to Bulb) and so entering your postcode on Bulb’s site is the easiest way to get the accurate prices.

Yes and no. You can be switched to a single rate tariff, but it’ll involve changing your meter (and not a straight tariff switch). From http://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/comment/22157/#Comment_22157

The issue with this is that when I switched to Bulb I was placed on a single rate tariff so I received the price increase e-mail for a single rate customer. I was then switched to an E7 tariff after so I don’t have the appropriate e-mail for the current tariff I am on.

Many thanks for your quick response.

Edit - Ok I found it now. Many thanks.

As much as I love Bulb and the customer service I’ve received so far has been great, staying on E7 is going to cost me too much in the long run. Ah well thanks for your assistance and advice.

Hi all,

Purely as another customer, if you simply add the meter readings together and charged a single tariff is it your experience that the single tariff rate offered is higher than the single tariff rate for a customer who only has a single rate meter?

I’m in the same boat as the original poster (I suspect many are as if you’re fortunate enough not to have to use night storage heaters and haven’t taken to mining bitcoin while you sleep, economy 7 is unlikely to be cost efficient) and a comparison through the MSE site brought up Peoples Energy as being significantly cheaper than Bulb. I’ve emailed PE about the possibility of combining the two readings and they say they’re fine with this - even though they offer a separate economy 7 tariff. We shall see, but as is always the way Bulb is no longer the cheapest, and many are every bit as green (if not more so), so it’s time to move on I think.

Hi all,

Purely as another customer, if you simply add the meter readings together and charged a single tariff is it your experience that the single tariff rate offered is higher than the single tariff rate for a customer who only has a single rate meter?

The tariff should be exactly the same regardless of what meter you have.