Economy seven off peak times changed.WHY?

Hello James here,
Can anybody please explain why when the clocks altered this weekend my off peak hours changed?
I had no prior notice of this,and when I rang bulb the said this happened every year.
I know for a fact my economy seven has been 10.30PM TO 12.30AM THEN 1.30AM to 7.30AM for the past 30 plus years.
Would be very grateful for any help please.

Hi @Argent68, welcome to Bulb community, happy to have you here :+1:

According to the data I have on your meter, your night rate runs from 22:30 to 00:30 and from 02:30 to 07:30. This is GMT, so this means that this doesn’t change when the clocks go forward in the Spring. Therefore, your night rate will run from 23:30 to 01:30 and from 03:30 to 08:30 during the Daylight Savings Time months.

Hi Lou,
Very impressed with your prompt reply.
Thanks for trying to help.
However my previous times were absolutely definitely.
10.30PM TO0.30AM AND THEN 1.30AM TO 7.30 MAKING
7 hours in total.
My new off peak hours are now 9.30.PM to11.30PM and then 12.30AM to 6.30AM.
Why the change now with no notification when all my off peak equipment is set fo my previous times?

Small point, but that adds up to 8 hours. Are you quite sure about the times? (2230-0030 + 0230-0730 GMT is one of the common E7 configurations)

What makes you think the hours have changed?

btw, what sort of meter do you have? Is it an old-school mechanical one, or a smart meter?

Hi, I have the same issue. Could you confirm the economy 7 hours on my meter?

Thanks,

Ash

Hi Steve,
Silly me,of course should have put 2.30 am,7hrs.

My 2 rate meter gets a radio signal to a teleswitch
To tell it to switch on or off.
This has worked flawlessly for the last 30 years plus.
Can hear it click on and off quite clearly and indicator lights on switch come on.
Am bewildered why the new altered time.
Meter is old mechanical I think.

Any idea Steve😊

Sounds identical to my setup.

Ah, interesting, I’ve never noticed - probably because I’m not usually in the understairs cupboard where my meters live at the appropriate times. I’ll have to look out for that to check my E7 hours :slight_smile:.

Logically, it would seem to suggest something has changed at the source of the radio signal (possibly in error). I found this interesting article about how it’s done: Wikipedia: Radio teleswitch

EDIT: Another useful link: Radio Teleswitch Services

Mind you, depending on your domestic habits, an earlier evening off-peak period could be quite beneficial to shifting more of your usage to off-peak rates!

Thanks for the links Steve.
Get your point about the earlier off peak at 9.30 pm.
Could be usefull,but downside is our storage heaters are now switching off at 6.30am meaning ceasing to take in energy at 6.30am.
A two hour gap between coming on at 8.30 on the timer.
This means heat output is diminished and runs out earlier in the evening!
Bit of a dilemma?
Wonder if times have been programmed incorrectly at bulb or elsewhere.

Hi @Argent68

Thank you @stevefoster for sharing this useful information.

There are three different ways that meters change from day time to night time tariff:

Static - the switching schedule is rarely if ever changed, so the heating load is switched on/off at the same times every day.

 Semi-static - the schedule is changed a few times a year, for example with the GMT/BST clock change.

 Dynamic - the schedule may vary from day to day, following the suppliers’ instructions, most often to take into account prevailing or forecast weather conditions.

It sounds like your teleswitch is semi-static I have reported the change in times and will get in contact with the DNO to find out more information.

Many thanks Mel for your reply.
Very surprised no one else has picked up on this yet.
Sure we can’t be the only one affected!
However can’t understand why you think we are sem static unless
The technology has gone backwards.
We have seamlessly been on the same off peak times for 30 years
And are baffled at the reason for the change.
Has someone programmed it incorrectly?
Look forward to your reply and appreciate your help so far.

Thanks