Electric Car Charging

I’m looking at getting an electric car.

Does anyone one have any details on price of charging etc and if its increased the price of your tariff by a lot if anything?

Thanks

It will increase your electricity bill, but it’ll reduce your petrol/diesel bill by even more…

You could work it out at ~4 miles per kWh for a Tesla Model 3.

Does anyone one have any details on price of charging etc and if its increased the price of your tariff by a lot if anything?

It wont increase the price of your tariff by anything at all, it doesn’t work like that. Or do you mean increase the overall bill?

As phproxy says, you can work out a fair estimate quite easily.

4 miles per kWh is typical for many EVs, not just the Tesla Model 3, so you can use that to calculate the expected electricity bill increase for your typical mileage. Then you can work out your typical petrol/diesel bill for the same mileage. You’ll find the EV is spectacularly cheaper to run.

You might want to do the sums to see if it would make sense to move to a dual rate tariff. You’ll pay a bit more for daytime, but quite a lot less for 7 hours or so at night. I switched to “Economy 7” when I got the electric car, as I estimated that I would be using more for the car than for anything else. It’s actually worked out around 60% overnight, 40% daytime (I have solar so that reduces the daytime demand), so definitely worth it for me, but it will depend on whether you can manage with just overnight charging, and how much you’ll use on average.