Electric Car

I intend to buy a PHEV electric car soon, and will be charging it overnight at home. I note that some other electricity suppliers have provided plans to accommodate this, dropping their tariffs to about a 1/3 of the usual rate overnight to support overnight charging. Is Bulb planning to do this - I have been very happy with Bulb, and don’t want to leave, but I could save about £150 per year moving to an overnight reduced rate plan.

I intend to buy a PHEV electric car soon, and will be charging it overnight at home. I note that some other electricity suppliers have provided plans to accommodate this, dropping their tariffs to about a 1/3 of the usual rate overnight to support overnight charging. Is Bulb planning to do this - I have been very happy with Bulb, and don't want to leave, but I could save about £150 per year moving to an overnight reduced rate plan.

See: https://bulb.co.uk/smart/

By the way, a PHEV is not an electric car. It’s a little better than a so-called “self-charging hybrid”. I would investigate carefully whether any multi-rate tariff will actually work out cheaper for you. Your PHEV will have only a small battery, a few kWh at most, and so the uplift on your electricity bill will be relatively small. I’m on Bulb’s smart tariff, and even putting 100+kWh into my Leaf overnight every month it’s barely enough to offset the higher day rate. My last monthly bill worked out approx £1 cheaper than if I was on single-rate. You have to do thousands of miles on electric to really make a saving with a multi-rate tariff, and with a small battery PHEV I doubt it will be possible.

I’d recommend you bite the bullet and go full electric. I was considering a PHEV and I know for a fact that after driving on electric for approximately 5 minutes I would have regretted my purchase and wished on gone full electric. I’ve done thousands of miles in my Leaf, including holidays down to the south coast and all around Ireland. Never once have I had a problem rapid charging, nor have I ended up on a flatbed truck. Don’t believe the rubbish you read in the media. The future is here and it’s brilliant.