Electric usage tripled

Hi our bills have rocketed like a lot of peoples, but also our kWh we switched to some infra red heaters from old economy 7 storage heaters. Thinking of going back to storage heaters - no gas at the property - need to do something as this December bill is £300 for one month!! Advice please !!

1 Like

Hi @Chris75 - welcome to community :wave:

I’ve had a look into your account, and compared your latest statement with this time last year, and this year’s statement is slightly higher which I’m afraid is likely due to the several prices increases last year.

It may be worth asking your heating installer about the energy efficiency of the new heating - I have looked online and there are mixed reviews.

– Meg :bulb:

Since this is the chat that is getting responses due to bills going up, I’ve got a complaint for you.

You have sent me an email telling me you are putting my payment up to £140.75 per month.

I have just now called and your advisor put the phone down on me!

I cannot afford that amount and I think it is extortionate considering I live alone, am away for 9 hours every week day and switch EVERYTHING off at the mains when I leave.

How can you justify putting it up so high?

Simply put, I need that adjusting or you’re not going to get paid.

When I moved in back in October 2020 by payments were just £50. I have increased to £80 to allow for increases but THIS? Beyond a joke.

1 Like

Hi @KellyRobo94

Thanks for reaching out,

I have replied back to your original thread : Being Charged Too Much .

Can you kindly respond on there and if you have any other questions then please let me know.

–Suki :hibiscus:

I have emailed Bulb, but have not had a response so I thought I would add my question to this thread.

My electricity usage is around £3-£5 per day, on Wednesday it rose to £8 then Thursday and Friday was £17 and £16 per day respectively. No one is home during the day in the week. I am dreading how much I will be charged this weekend when we are all at home.

I obviously know that prices are going up, but that rise is awful and I can not afford it.

Please could someone from bulb explain what is going on?

Thank you

Got to agree, went to submit my meter readings as my smart meters are no longer smart.

Gas not a problem but I have 2 electricity meters registered. One I recognise & the other I do not.

It looks the one i dont recognise is recording a smart reading & the one I do recognise was not being updated. Either way bulb had my correct usage.

However, when I put in the correct reading for the meter I do recognise it then tripled my bill.

Get a sinking feeling I’m being charged twice here!?

Yes I know prices have gone up but every year I always over pay & get a refund, this year apparently I’m underpaying but haven’t used the heating much as it’s been a mild winter.

Bulb please explain / help!

Thanks in advance

Hi @KG18 Welcome to Community :wave:

Your In-home display has a range of timeframe settings, it can do daily, calendar month, or the billing period on your account.

Could it be that you have accidentally changed it from daily to another setting and so you are seeing the charges build up over time rather than reset at midnight?

Take a look and let me know if you think there is still an issue,

–KT :bulb:

Hi KT

Thank you for your reply. I use the app to check my usage and always look at the daily usage graph. Last week my weekly cost of both gas and electricity was £62.14, whereas the previous week (the week where the cost of electricity rose dramatically) it was £95.40). How is this right?

I am still waiting for a reply to my email asking this question.

Thank you

Hi @gazc :wave: Welcome to Community,

I have taken a look at your account and we had your smart meter and another different meter recorded on your account. This other meter should not have been there and looks like it was an error that happened during your switch to Bulb.

You are correct in terms of the billing being incorrect, I am sorry about this. I have now removed the incorrect meter and reissued your statements. The corrected statement should arrive with you over an email shortly.

Let me know if you have any further questions about this,

– KT :bulb:

I have a doubt about my smart meter, my electric readings are very high, most of the day when I wake up it is more than 1 pounds, can you please check is there any problems with readings, Because at night I am not using any electric equipment except fridge

Hi @1987tony

Thanks for your post and welcome to community :wave:

I think you may be referencing the IHD, which is the in home display that you have in your home as opposed to the actual meters.

If so, the IHD updates around midnight, so when you wake up it will already be showing the standing charges for that day plus any background usage from the early hours.

Let us know if you have any more questions on this :slightly_smiling_face:

Ele :sunny:

They tried to do that to me twice. I told them to return it to what I was paying and if a shortfall occurred I’d make up the difference with a top up payment over the phone. This happened to me when I was £500 in credit and the day before my monthly payment went into my account twice. I’ve told them I will walk if they ever do that to me again even if it means going to a more expensive account. I am in the process of running down my credit as the company is in administration so have reduced my monthly payment to just above the minimum allowed - £72. I’m told I’m using £124/ month dual fuel. It’s your account. You tell them what you will pay so long as you don’t run up a debt.

Hi @kimhaz :wave:

It sounds like your account underwent a payment review which is based on your usage and account balance at the time. However, in this case it didn’t seem like this was correct. Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

As you’ve discussed we have suggested payment amounts on your account which are calculated again with your account balance and usage. When you have a direct debit set up we do request you leave one months payment in your account as we take our payments in advance so we can buy energy in advance helping to reduce the cost for our members.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks,
– Luke :bulb:

If you are not using off-peak electricity during the night for storage heaters then you will likely be using a higher charge daytime tariff.

You need to check you are on the best tariff structure for your needs and usage pattern.

Hi @kimhaz @jonathan.w.carr :wave:

As @jonathan.w.carr has said being on economy 7 gives you 7 hours of cheaper energy usage and a higher expensive usage rate outside of the off-peak hours.

To make an economy 7 meter financially viable we recommend that you split your energy usage to at least 40% to your off-peak time. If this is not possible we can look into switching your meter to something more appropriate.

Any questions please drop them below :point_down:

Best,
Luke :bulb: