Electric Vehicles

As a Green Energy provider do Bulb promote or have plans to promote a growth in Electric Vehicle Usage and if so how?

We support electric vehicle usage and while we have no plans to directly support. We do offer products that make it a viable option. The best one being an economy 7 tariff. This allows people to charge their cars during the evening to benefit from the cheaper price of energy at night.

We support electric vehicle usage and while we have no plans to directly support. We do offer products that make it a viable option. The best one being an economy 7 tariff. This allows people to charge their cars during the evening to benefit from the cheaper price of energy at night.

Previous comments from other Bulb members made it sound like you was working on something to incentivize EVs though? With how big of an impact EVs can have in reducing emissions (especially if you get your energy from a renewable supplier) it seems like it would be reprehensible to not at least try and educate customers on them? There’s also a financial incentive for Bulb to get people to switch to EVs.

@katherine244 We certainly take your point. Currently, we believe the biggest impact we can have as a company is to get as a many people using renewable energy as possible. At scale, Bulb can have a genuine impact on the uptake of renewables in the UK. We are also focussing a lot of effort into our smart meter roll-out, so our members can make use of the energy-saving potential from smart meters.

I’ll highlight your post to the relevant department to see what we can do to educate our members on EVs.

@katherine244 We certainly take your point. Currently, we believe the biggest impact we can have as a company is to get as a many people using renewable energy as possible. At scale, Bulb can have a genuine impact on the uptake of renewables in the UK. We are also focussing a lot of effort into our smart meter roll-out, so our members can make use of the energy-saving potential from smart meters.

I’ll highlight your post to the relevant department to see what we can do to educate our members on EVs.

It would be nice to see a blog on it. I have a Nissan Leaf with a 30 kWh battery (28.5 kWh usable capacity), and last month I did 1156.8 miles using 273.9 kWh. I think all but about 20 kWh of that was charging at home, costing just over £18 on Bulb’s Economy 7 tariff. Nissan reckons that I saved 320kg of CO2 emissions by sourcing my electric from renewable sources vs using a comparable sized petrol car.

In my old car, which was just a Corsa which got about 45 mpg that would’ve cost me almost £140, and output 280kg of CO2!

Good to understand it’s in Bulb’s thoughts. I recently bought a Renault Zoe and switched to Bulb at the same time for renewable supply. I read a report recently indicating EV sales were up 14% in the UK in September so we are right on the edge of a significant increase in take up. I think Bulb has a significant opportunity to gain market share if you can find a way to introduce an incentive for renewable supply. The wave is about to arrive you may want to ride it??

@chris9957 and @katherine244 these are great points. @katherine244 especially awesome about how much money and CO2 you saved.

@chris9957 let me kind of turn the tables for a moment – what do you think would be the best thing Bulb could do to support new EV drivers like you?

Price incentives are obviously one angle but I am also concerned about the efficient production and usage of our energy so that we are not creating more CO2 than is really needed. I can buy an EV to reduce the amount of energy used when I travel and I can sign up with you guys for a renewable energy supply. What I don’t have is any advice, tools & services to make this situation even better.
How about linking with a vehicle manufacturer to sell a renewable supply along with a vehicle purchase? You could incentivise this yes to make the running costs lower but information such as when to charge the car to keep the CO2 from the supplier at it’s lowest would be great. Also infrastructure is another area, I may want to generate my own solar energy and store it in my own batteries and use it for my home and my car or send back to the grid. Could support information be made available to do this or better still offer a package with the vehicle manufacturer that put it all in for me prior to receiving the car. I think there is a lot that could be done to make it easier for people to make the switch to green energy and green transport and believe development of these tools and services has a great potential for giving you a USP over other suppliers.
JLR are about to bring out iPACE early next year how about linking up with a British based EV supplier on developing this stuff?

Hey Chris @chris9957 - that’s awesome feedback, thank you so much!

We’re definitely keen to find ways to help our members more effectively manage their energy usage and drive the adoption of all things green and clean, so suggestions like yours are super valuable and really useful to us going forwards.

Right now our main focus is on getting as many people signed up as possible and improving our efficiency to make renewable energy more affordable than ever. The idea is that the more members we have, the more impact we’ll be able to have when we move into less traditional areas for a supplier.

But moving into partnerships with EV manufacturers, smart appliance makers etc are certainly exciting possibilities for the future. And the whole country’s energy infrastructure is going to change hugely over the next decade or so as more people get electric cars and solar panels, and new storage and generation possibilities emerge that weren’t there before. It’s a cool time to be involved!

And we’ve all been drooling over the Teslas for a while…

Hi I have been reading the previous comments on EV’s. We are about to purchase and EV and are looking to get a charge point put into our garage. Have any further developments been made regarding this topic?

@heather164 No specific updates regarding EV’s past what has been discussed in the conversation above.

Our aim currently is still to increase our member base as we feel this is the largest way we can make an impact, by making as many households as possible use renewable electricity, whilst ensuring we maintain our high level of customer service.

EV’s are certainly an avenue we are looking to explore in the future, but we have no concrete timeline for those projects at this time.

Good Afternoon All,

I note @chris9957 makes mention of sending power back to the grid - nice idea pity Renault don’t produce a car capable of V2G and whilst we can all drool over Teslas they too aren’t V2G friendly. There is still a need for the PTB to get their collective act together.

Our Zoe will be with us within a fortnight, on a 3 year PCP, by which time I’m hopeful that the market will have changed.

Regards

Richard