Electricity has disappeared from my account

Hi Bulb

I was chatting to Alessandra earlier this afternoon and she said she’d get back to me via e-mail by the end of today. I just want to make sure I haven’t been forgotten.

Alessandra was going to investigate a problem with my account. It looks like electricity usage and readings have disappeared and I only have gas showing, yet this can’t be possible because I haven’t actually switched to another supplier (despite wanting to a little while back).

Please do get back to me as soon as possible.

Thank you

Hey @smt :wave:

It looks like Alessandra sent you an email yesterday at 17:15. To get the bottom of things we’ll need a picture of your electricity meter, so she’s requested that in the email :slightly_smiling_face: If you reply to her email, we can then get this sorted for you!

All the best,
Megan

I have now replied with a picture of our meter. Thank you

Thanks @smt- Alessandra will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best,
Cara :bulb:

Please can I have an update on this?

8 days have passed now. There is a further development which is that our smart meter in-home-display is now telling us we are paying more than 19p per kWh for electricity, which is not what we agreed to and is in excess of Bulb’s recent price change.

Hi @smt

Sorry for the delay, I’ve asked Alessandra to get back to you as soon as she can. It sounds like the issue with the in-home display is related to the one she is resolving.

Don’t worry, once it’s sorted the display will have the correct tariff rate and you won’t be charged anything other than Bulb’s prices for the energy you’ve used.

-CJ

Hello. Perhaps you should re-assign this to someone who has more time available?

Another 5 days have passed and still I’ve heard nothing, and the issue hasn’t resolved. Absolutely dreading the inevitable billing issues that are coming our way now. Putting my anxiety through the roof again.

Will I still be able to submit meter readings to you for electricity in a few days time? I need to make sure you at least have a record of our consumption.

Hi @smt

I can confirm we’ve now raised the request to take your meter back from the other supplier.

Once they accept we’ll rebill you for the entire period since we erroneously lost your electricity supply.

If you make a note of the readings now we can add them once we do supply again and make sure you’re billed properly.

I’ve also asked Alessandra to give you a full update ASAP.

-CJ

Hi

I see Alessandra has now e-mailed and I have e-mailed back again.

Seeing is believing so I won’t hold my breath until I see results.

Do you need an electricity meter reading today please, or can it wait until 31st July so that I’ll have a full month’s consumption?

@smt You can submit one on the 31st/the day before your billing date, that should be fine :blush:

Hi.

As promised I’ve taken an electricity meter reading this evening and sent it to Alessandra using the help@bulb.co.uk e-mail address. Perhaps you can intercept it and ensure the reading goes through to right department?

Thank you!

Simon

Hi @smt,

Thanks for getting back to us on here. Alessandra has the reading now and will escalate this to our billing team to decide next steps. She’ll be in touch via that email thread :relaxed:

Many thanks,

Niamh :bulb:

My situation with this erroneous transfer still hasn’t been resolved. I have responded to Alessandra by e-mail in the last few minutes.

Apparently the new supplier has rejected Bulb’s request to send back our electricity to Bulb. I suspect this is probably because the new supplier somehow thinks we owe them money, however they don’t have any of our personal details, so shouldn’t be able to do that. I do fear they may try to cut off our supply however.

Hoping Bulb will enjoy some bedtime reading tonight of Citizens Advice and Ofgem rules about erronous switching, so that they can resolve my situation before it gets that bad.

Hi @smt,

I’m sorry that the erroneous transfer (ET) has still not been sorted. I know that it’s not ideal that you’d need to call the other supplier to get this solved, but often this is the only way that your supply will come back to us. We are unable to discuss the details on your account (e.g. name, email address) to query this with the erroneous supplier as this would be a breach of GDPR and keeping your data safe is a priority.

I promise you that this will not result in your electricity being cut off, as this would be unethical. Keeping you safe is obviously of the utmost importance.

I’d strongly advise that you contact the other supplier to ask them to send your electricity back to us as this is the quickest way to get the issue solved. Equally, if you’d like us to write you a letter directing you to the Ombudsman, just let us know and we can do that for you.

I’m very sorry that this has been going on for such a long time and we hope to get everything sorted soon. Any questions, please do let us know.

Take care,

Niamh :bulb:

Even if I did call the other supplier, they won’t be able to deal with me because they don’t have my details. I’ll fail their security checks at the first hurdle.

I could explain the situation about the erroneous transfer etc. but won’t they just say they’ll only deal with the account-holder? This is why I need Bulb to do it. In fact Bulb has an obligation to do it within a specified time-frame (20/21 days?). I am willing to wait the prescribed length of time for it to be done. I just need Bulb to acknowledge that and perform their duties as per the erroneous transfers procedure. I have already e-mailed Alessandra along those lines (I write on this forum as a backup in case message get lost, and for the benefit of other Bulb users to share in my experience)

I’m going to hazard a guess and say that one of my neighbours has signed up to the other supplier and given them my address by mistake, so I would need to know that neighbour’s name in order to deal with the other supplier. In fact even if I knew their name, technically it would be fraudulent for me to “pretend” I was them in order to pass security checks. I’m sure you’re not suggesting I do that but I feel like that’s what I would have to do in order to deal with this myself.

Hi @smt

If you call British Gas and explain that you are a victim of an erroneous transfer they will speak to you about this, especially if they can already see on their system they Bulb has previously raised this with them on the 28th July.

They may ask you to send a picture of the meter over email, or a copy of your last bill with Bulb, so they can verify that you are responsible for that property, but as soon as you’ve done that they can start the switch back to Bulb.

I’m sorry, I appreciate this is a far from ideal situation, but with the information you provide to British Gas yourself, they wouldn’t be able to deny the erroneous transfer.

All the best,
Megan

Hi Megan

I’m not sure which information you are reading from, but I don’t think it was British Gas who made the error. Alessandra has advised me differently. I still have gas on my Bulb account thankfully - it’s only the electricity which has gone. I know British Gas does supply electricity, but I’ve been advised it wasn’t them who I was switched to?

Can you check this please and revise your comments?

For the record I still think Bulb is trying to avoid its responsibility with this. Bulb already admits it is an erroneous transfer and should be doing everything in its power to get the supply back. It seems you want me, the consumer, to do the leg-work to fix the industry’s mistakes.

If it was industry standard to request the unique meter number and match it to the address with every application for a new account, then this erroneous switch wouldn’t have happened. Maybe you could advise Ofgem to include that in their standards?

I’m sorry so for the confusion there @smt, I meant SSE (not British Gas) who have rejected the erroneous transfer.

I fully appreciate where you’re coming from in thinking Bulb should be doing more, but because of GDPR, SSE simply wouldn’t be able to discuss the account for your property with us. When we raised the erroneous transfer we state that the wrong supply point was selected, but they have rejected this, and are unable to give us any information about the switch.

However, as soon as you’re able to provide the supporting evidence to SSE, the erroneous transfer should no longer be rejected.

All the best,
Megan

I’ve sent another e-mail.

I contacted SSE this morning.

SSE say Bulb asked them to take the supply over, which happened on 22nd June and that they have no reason to keep the supply.

All Bulb needs to do is contact SSE (GDPR shouldn’t be an issue) and it can be sorted out.

Please will you do that?

Hi @smt :wave:

Thank you for giving them a call. I can see you have requested in your recent emails that this now be dealt with as a complaint, so I have been in touch with Alessandra to get this raised.

If the electricity was returned to them as an ET as suggested, it may be a matter of making a new application to take over the supply. We will be in touch to confirm and to follow up on the complaint.

Thanks,
Cara