Electricity Meter Reading advise please

My meter readings are numbered 1 & 2. How do I know which Is for day and which is for night. I’ve been told the higher one is for day, but I’m mainly home at night so I’d assume my night use should be the higher figure? Can anyone advise please?

At some point in the day, read both meters.
Boil a kettle of water, then read meters again.
The meter which has advanced is the ‘day’ one. The other one should have remained at the same reading.

At some point in the day, read both meters. Boil a kettle of water, then read meters again. The meter which has advanced is the 'day' one. The other one should have remained at the same reading.

Boggles the mind how many people can’t work this technique out for themselves, doesn’t it?

I don’t have direct access to my metre as I live in an apartment complex so can’t measure it like that

I don’t have direct access to my metre as I live in an apartment complex so can’t measure it like that

There’s no other way. You have a right to access the meter.

I have looked into it and all it says is reading 1 and reading 2. There is no specification which is for night and which is for day

It is not somewhere close to me so not easy. I appreciate your help. I just thought someone else may have a similar metre and so would know which is which.

I have looked into it and all it says is reading 1 and reading 2. There is no specification which is for night and which is for day

You need to look at it while doing the test described above.

I appreciate this is not quite a trivial as if the meter was easily accessible as with a typical property, but come on you’re making this more difficult than it is. Worst case, arrange for a friend to boil a kettle while you stand there looking at the meter. That way you only have to arrange access once. It’s not hard.

If you haven’t got access to the meter, have you got access to the previous bills for the property? You should, in most cases, be able to work out which is which from old bills.

I.e. old bill is: 3489 day, 1234 night
Current reading one is 4324 and reading two is 3242.

Reading two is therefore the night rate (as it is below the old “day” bill amount and meter’s don’t go backwards). If they are close, it’ll be trickier - but during this time of the year, you are unlikely to be using storage heaters at night etc) and so the usage is likely to be lower than your day rate (unless, of course, you are more active during ‘the night hours’ in the house and are out at work during the ‘day rate hours’).