Energy Support in Winter

Oh the weather outside is frightful…

We understand that as the days get colder and darker, it can be more challenging to cover the cost of your electricity and gas. There are a few ways Bulb can support you in this more difficult period so if you’re looking for some extra help, please take a look below.

Warm Home Discount

The Warm Home Discount is a government scheme to help you with your energy bills over the winter period. You’re given £140, either as credit to your Bulb account or through a Post Office voucher if you have prepayment meters. And we’ve now opened our form to register your interest :house: :money_with_wings:

Who’s eligible?

Core Group - you receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit and so you don’t need to apply. You’ll receive this automatically. :memo:

Broader Group - you’re low income and meet Bulb’s criteria for the scheme :white_check_mark:

When can I apply?

Broader Group applications for winter 2020/2021 open in autumn 2020. You can register your interest now and we’ll email you when applications open.

All members can register their interest from now until applications open. The Warm Home Discount is first come first served.

Read more here.

Priority Services Register

We can offer additional support services to those on our Priority Services Register. These include priority reconnection after a power cut and quarterly meter readings for those that have trouble accessing their meter.

If you have any vulnerabilities or special circumstances at your property, it’s really helpful for us to have this information on your account, even if you’d rather not opt for the additional support services. Vulnerabilities can be anything from having a child under 5 at the property to having a physical or mental impairment.

You can sign up here.

Fuel Direct

If you’re having trouble paying for your energy, if you have a debt with us, or if you get certain benefits, you can apply for Fuel Direct. This is a government scheme that arranges for your energy bills to be paid directly out of benefit payments.

The benefits that can be used are:

• Universal Credit
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit

To apply for Fuel Direct, contact your local Jobcentre Plus, or your pension centre if you’re on Pension Credit.

Impartial Advice

If you’re struggling with debt on your account or keeping up with payments/top ups, it’s really important to seek help. You can always speak to us and we can support you in applying for some of the schemes mentioned above.

Organisations such as StepChange and Citizens Advice can offer support in other areas as well and provide free, impartial advice on your finances.

Energy Saving Advice

Being mindful of your energy usage is one of the best ways to save money, particularly over winter. We’ve included some information below

Simple Energy Advice is a government-certified website that serves as a good first port of call for energy saving advice

These articles from our help site also give simple helpful tips on saving energy:

Equally we have some guides on the best energy saving practices:

You can read about our general energy saving tips in this link

You can read about creating a more energy efficient home in the link

And you can read on the best energy saving appliances in the link

Energy Company Obligation (ECO)

Much like the Warm Home Discount, the Energy Company Obligation (or ECO) scheme is a government initiative to help reduce a household’s energy costs.

The ECO scheme is awarded as a grant to a household to cover the cost of improvements that increase fuel efficiency, such as new insulation and/or boiler replacements. By making a home more fuel efficient, it feels warmer in the winter, and takes less energy to heat, which helps to save you money.

Who’s Eligible?

Anyone in receipt of certain means tested benefits is eligible for ECO funding. You can check if you’re eligible here.

Unfortunately, just having an eligible benefit doesn’t mean you can receive a grant. We’d recommend you visit our friends at myecohome.org to see if you qualify.

If you do qualify, they’ll help take you through the next steps in booking a survey followed by the installation of the home improvement.

If you’ve got any further questions about this then by all means hit us up below :point_down:

2 Likes

Very funny… Vulnerable customer here! I have stopped showering and doing washing and most vitally had to stop all my light therapy due to your abusive behaviour. Doubling direct debit IGNORING THE PROMISE OF 10 DAYS NOTICE. now you have stated that the applications are open, today this has caused me to lose sleep but guess what they are not open. Your idea of supporting vulnerable is IMO a joke.
I am still waiting for a reply to any of my emails since you told my bank that I, who can’t use the phone, MUST CALL!!!

1 Like

eh up looking for some help, warm home discount seems to be very hard to apply for, considering i got it last year no problems why am i being asked to submit all forms again?

WHD!! Wont even let me apply…everytime i click on the apply for whd it takes me back to " sign in with a different address"??? I only have one email address which is already logged into bulb!!!:open_mouth:.
Seemingly not letting me apply???

Eh. Good luck to anyone applying for this is all I can say. I applied for this the first winter I was with Bulb. Qualified, met all the criteria, everything. They rejected us outright, no reason. So I never tried again. I’ve just left. Not going to bother trying this year since I don’t think I’ve been with my new supplier long enough yet (not even a month).

@maryam.halcrow, I can see that you’ve now sent off your Warm Home Discount application :+1:

Also, I can see that you’ve been on touch with us on social media about this matter. If you would be able to confirm your account details with us there, we’ll be able to give you a hand on your payments too.

@srpayne.sp, I’ve replied to your question in our WHD thread, but we do need our members to supply proof of eligibility for Broader Group Warm Home Discount applications, even if you’ve done this already in a previous application cycle.

@kevhattie39, I’ve done a search for the email address that you’ve signed up to Bulb community with, but it’s not giving me any results. Would you be able to double-check the email address that you sign into your Bulb account with?

I am trying to apply for the WHD as I am on IR ESA but when you get to the additional criteria there is no option for ‘disability income guarantee’ which I get and qualifies me for this payment (according to ‘Bulb Help’). Can someone please advise me as soon as possible on which option I need to select so I can complete the application. Thank you kindly.

Hi @decembersangel,

Thanks for your comment. You are eligible if you’re in the support group of income-related ESA. You qualify under our additional criteria, because you’re automatically entitled to the ‘enhanced disability premium’ or the ‘disability income guarantee’. You can select one of these from the additional eligibility criteria section.

Thought I would be okay in applying for WHD this year (and have it top the account up to near what Bulb want it to be) as I have received it every year previously from Bulb and previous suppliers. Initially encouraged that the criteria in the broader group had been expanded but having gone through the application form I have been told I am not eligible. The really stupid thing is because I no longer receive PIP (it’s in dispute but COVID19 has halted all appeals) I actually have less money than last year.

I received Universal Credit, Council Tax Reduction and ESA + Support Group (so assessed as not well enough to work). However my ESA is contribution based (because I worked full time for 12 years straight and therefore have enough NI contributions to cover this benefit) and because I am in the Support Group, they will not change it over to Income Based. The Universal Credit payments have not taken over my ESA payments but take them into consideration every month. Because I am on contribution based I am automatically disqualified.

With regards to being in financial difficulty. I completed the form explaining I was in financial difficulty. The response was to use charities, CAB or Tully. I responded “Because my husband is self-employed, charities such as Step Change will not work with us (we have approached them before). I also have tried to use CAB, when we fell into quite serious debt, a few years ago. Again the desired result was an epic fail and we ended up worse off. Because of this I will not use CAB again. As for using Tully, sorry but there is no way that I will be letting anyone access my bank account on line as it goes against all financial regulatory and banking rules.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I never got any further response, even resending the email I have heard nothing. They increased the direct debit by £27.81 on 17/09/2020 (affecting the October Payment) and since then I have received another email (22/10/2020) asking for another £20 a month so want to increase by £47.81.

Seriously thinking of looking elsewhere for my gas and electricity.

Hi @GeorgieS_at_Bulb Actually there is NO ‘Disability Income Guarantee’ option under the ‘additional eligibility criteria’ and THAT is why I asked the question in the first place and was very confused (please re-read my post), if there was the option then I wouldn’t have needed to ask the question. I know I am eligible for the WHD with the IR ESA with DIG (I read Bulbs ‘Help’ notes on the WHD before applying - they were very helpful Thank You) and I am just trying to figure out with there being no DIG option to select then which one DO I need to choose to be able to complete the application truthfully.
Thank you for your quick reply it was very much appreciated x

@GeorgieS_at_Bulb I am going to complete the application for the WHD and under the ‘additional eligibility criteria’ I am going to choose the ‘enhanced disability premium’ with there being no option for ‘disability income guarantee’ to be selected. This appears to be the best ‘fit’ for my circumstances (as both are recognised as eligibility for the WHD as part of IR ESA) and I hope that Bulb takes this into account when my application is reviewed and I am not turned down because of this as I could only supply information that I have the option to choose from that has been supplied by Bulb (and may be an oversight in the application process by the company). If my application is denied because of this then I will be very disappointed with the credibility of Bulb even though up to this point I have been very pleased with the service I have received ever since I joined.
Thank you kindly.

i have appleyed for the WHD as soon as it opened .have not heard back at all
what is going on .always got it with my past energy company

I have exactly the same issue

hi i have received a email telling i am told i can get the whd which i am in desperate need off as been told to isolate till blimmin April does anyone know when you are passing them out ?

why have you changed my tariff without notifying me ?

Hi @Grantz

We haven’t had any tariff changes recently - this is the price per KWH of energy.

If you mean your direct debit amount then this can be increased if you are not covering your usage and therefore go into debt.

If you are unable to pay the amount on your account then please have a look at our financial assistance and advice here or get in touch with us by emailing help@bulb.co.uk

I have merged this thread with a thread that might be useful to you.

best,
Melisa

I applied for the warm home discount but not heard anything now I’m worried because it helps massively. I have 3 children under 4 one who is disabled.

When will I find out what’s happening with the warm home discount?

Hi @brittanynarbett - I’ve sent you an update about this now via private message. Please get back to me there with any questions. :slight_smile:

The warm house discount is now open for the broader group!
Get your applications in here: The Warm Home Discount – Bulb