Energy Usage v Actual Bill

Each month the energy used on my bill differs somewhat from the graph showing my monthly usage. eg this month my bill is £79.03 but the energy usage for that month is £122. Why is this please ?

Each month the energy used on my bill differs somewhat from the graph showing my monthly usage. eg this month my bill is £79.03 but the energy usage for that month is £122. Why is this please ?

If you have economy 7 it does not reflect the cost correctly.

https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/1947/my-usage-graph-counting-all-electric-usage-at-the-day-rate

thanks @Phillip_PAL , we’re definitely working on improving our usage graphs!

I don’t think I have economy 7 so can Bulb explain what the graph means in relation to the actual bills please ?

I don't think I have economy 7 so can Bulb explain what the graph means in relation to the actual bills please ?

I’m not bulb, but as far as I can tell it’s not related to your Bill’s, but a separate estimation of your usage per month starting 1st using the same readings you provide.

I provide weekly readings and they only pop into life after the boundary of the month has passed.

If you only provide readings every 3 months I cannot see how it can guesstimate to any relevance what your actual monthly usage was in a given month.

Overall the graphs as they stand are not useful as it shows cost not usage and only shows a few months historically. It needs to show the past year and ideally previous year for comparison. For me it only gets the gas correct.

The new graphs is something that has been coming for many months, hopefully it will be released once the new smart meters are rolled out with the various tariffs that should be available upon them.

I provide weekly readings and they only pop into life after the boundary of the month has passed.

I’m intrigued to know why weekly readings rather than monthly readings?

I’m intrigued to know why weekly readings rather than monthly readings?

Just habit - I keep my own weekly readings for comparison one week to the next. The submit button is so quick to use that I may as well enter them, then if I feel the need to I can do a full year actual usage to that week for entering into other quotes probably around every 3 months or price change using the records online at bulb rather than referring to my scraps of paper.

So far I have decided to stay with bulb on economy 7 as even though it may not be the absolute cheapest it saves the hassle for what is currently very little saving and the FIT payment with bulb is nicely integrated - I have opted to pay into the bulb account to build up a buffer prior to winter. Generally things have been nice and simple and work with bulb (usage graph aside).

There is only one competitor tariff so far I would seriously consider moving to but it requires a functioning smart meter, without one I would be worse off than stopping with bulb during the wait for a smart meter.

I am hoping that in time bulb will offer a smart tariff with an even cheaper night rate for a shorter period in the night than their existing 3 rate tariff which doesn’t really improve much over the existing economy 7 setup.