energy used since price rise (11th nov)

i get my statement about the 17th each month.I just wondered how you calculate energy used from the price rise 911th nov)
thanks

basically how is my energy usage calculated from 11th november to 17th november. thanks

Speaking purely as another customer, what I’m guessing will happen is that an estimated reading will be applied on the 11th, to calculate the usage between your two actual reads before and after the tariff change. So you’ll have a statement that says

17 October (A) - 11 November (E) - xxx usage
11 November (E) - 17 November (A) - yyy usage

I gave a meter reading on the 11th to avoid this problem, even though it was out of sync for my usual monthly readings.

on the bill just shows kws used at old rate and kws used at new rate.Everything seems ok just wondered how they can calculate it without an actual reading on the 11th nov.Maybe taken an average fron kws used that month?

i get my statement about the 17th each month.I just wondered how you calculate energy used from the price rise 911th nov) thanks

It will be based on an estimated meter reading , possibly pro rata using the reading you hopefully provided for your statement on 17 October and 17 November.

My previous two suppliers used this methodology.

on the bill just shows kws used at old rate and kws used at new rate.Everything seems ok just wondered how they can calculate it without an actual reading on the 11th nov.Maybe taken an average fron kws used that month?

They estimate the reading on the 11th, in exactly the same way they estimate any other reading if you don’t provide one.

Best thing to do is to always provide a meter reading on the date of any tariff change, as I said.

This will be easy to identify, as credit meters, Bulb will have either worked out an estimate usage for the month or an actual usage when you provide them with meter readings.

Once the total units have been worked out for the month they then divide by x number days and then multiply that result by the number of days between 17th October and 10th November (24 Days) and between 11th November and 17th November (6 days).

for a case study example, lets say you used 100 units between 17th October 2018 and 17th November 2018. There is 31 days between 17th October and 17th November.

Units per day = 100/31 = 3.22 units a day.

between 17th October and 10th November (25 Days) = 3.22 * 25 = 80.5 units : rounded to the neater unit = 81 Units

between 11th November and 17th November (6 days) = 3.22 * 6 = 19.32 units : rounded to the neater unit = 19 Units

These two calculations will then be multiplied by the respective unit prices. The standing charges will be applied in the same manner but by the number days and the respective daily standing charge prices.

This will be easy to identify

I disagree. The maths is easy, as you explain. But the estimate is, ultimately, just an estimate.

If I fully charged my EV every day from 17 October to 10 November, but then not at all from 11 November to 17 November, clearly that would mean the estimate based on average usage over the period wasn’t very good. I’d end up paying for some of the charges at the higher rate even though I didn’t use much electric from 11 -17 November.

If your usage is particularly uneven, such as this example, it’s best to give a meter reading on the date of the tariff change.

This will be easy to identify

I disagree. The maths is easy, as you explain. But the estimate is, ultimately, just an estimate.

If I fully charged my EV every day from 17 October to 10 November, but then not at all from 11 November to 17 November, clearly that would mean the estimate based on average usage over the period wasn’t very good. I’d end up paying for some of the charges at the higher rate even though I didn’t use much electric from 11 -17 November.

If your usage is particularly uneven, such as this example, it’s best to give a meter reading on the date of the tariff change.

again still easy to identify how a calculation occurs, depending on the circumstance it might not be fair.

@Hooloovoo

I would tend to agree with @JustSsavvy but really it depends if @phil60 submitted readings for the statement on 17 October and 17 November.

If so then the number of units used for the month is actual rather than an estimate. To me it would be logical to then pro rata the number of units into the two periods

17 October to 11 November

and

11 November to 17 November.

If no reading was submitted for the 17 November statement then it is a different ball game as you have to do estimate for the period 17 October and 17 November.

I would tend to agree with @JustSsavvy but really it depends if @phil60 submitted readings for the statement on 17 October and 17 November.

You’ve just said the same as I did. We’ve all said the same thing.

I agree it’s logical to pro-rata the units between the two periods before and after the rate change. The only issue I’m pointing out is that is only valid if you have relatively consistent usage so the mean is realistic. If you have much higher usage some days than others, as for example someone charging an EV, then there’s a much higher standard deviation on the mean and a chance you could be worse off if you don’t submit a meter reading on the day of the change to “bank” your usage at the lower rate.

basically how is my energy usage calculated from 11th november to 17th november. thanks

To be able to give a more constructive answer, did you submit meter readings for you statements on 17 October and 17 November? We don’t need to know what they were.