Erratic billing and unauthorised payments taken

I have been with bulb for over a year and while we started well, my bills are crazy expensive, the direct debit amounts are always increasing, statements are always more and more expensive and the latest was that a payment for an amount way over the direct debit amount was taken without my authorisation.
It is impossible to speak to someone at bulb and reading all the other posts here, I agree that switching to another energy provider might be the only choice.

1 Like

Mine increase every month and I was told earlier today by Bulb that they will be taking the liberty from November to increase my payments for me by nearly £26. I am always in credit, I have been since I’ve been with Bulb.

1 Like

Hi @joyce.m.galvao, firstly welcome to Bulb community :wave:

I’m sorry that you’ve experienced payment increases - I can see that we have had to increase your payment amounts on two occasions as your monthly usage was more than your payment amount and this was causing your account to go into debit. We have a responsibility as an energy company to ensure that our members don’t fall into unnecessary debt by increasing their payment amounts in line with their usage. We won’t, however, increase your payment amount with notifying you first, and I can see you were emailed each time before your payment amount was changed.

If you do have any other questions or concerns, do let me know and I can give you a hand with these.

@tinap, unfortunately I can see that while your account is in a small amount of credit currently, we need our members to build up sufficient credit, so that this will offset the rise in consumption that the Winter months will bring. By raising your payment amount at this point, this well help build up some credit going into the Winter, so with your currently-projected consumption, we won’t need to increase your payments further.

1 Like

@Lou_at_Bulb Unfortunately you are basing this on estimated usage over the winter. I don’t use extra energy over the winter as I now have other methods to keep myself and my service user warm that work for us and are much much lower in energy consumption, and as a result, looking at m account closely as I do, I see that my energy usage remains fairly consistent throughout the entire year, give or take a few pennies either side.

So charging me nearly double than what I paid when I first moved in here for the same energy usage (slightly less now we no longer use the heating at all and have energy saving bulbs throughout and are very energy conscious overall) to build up even more credit to “see us through the winter” when our habits don’t change makes no sense at all. I will not use the entire about of credit I do have bar a literal pound every other month, never mind the month or two you want me to keep in my account at all times.

Furthermore, I am told every single month that I am in debit when I get my statement, yet by the time my payment clears I am in credit. Every month. Its a very common complaint here I see. I am also told every month to increase my payments by varying amounts. Its ranged from 85 to nearly 200 at one point. I’ve never once been in debt. I want to be in control of how much credit I keep, I don’t want to be told by you how much you think I should keep, in your account, based on energy you’ll assume I use that I won’t ever actually use. That’s what I’m angry about.

2 Likes

im exactly the same based on est usage, & am angry about that too

2 Likes

They assume you’ll default on your bills in winter every time even if you’ve never missed a payment in your life. That’s one of the reasons they love to use.

3 Likes

They want to much, reading comments a few fair have gone or are going. on mass anyhow.

2 Likes

I’ve spent the entire afternoon looking at who I’m going to switch to myself. Lost an afternoon of work to it.

Green is looking like the best fit for me right now.

2 Likes

i was just looking, rates seem cheaper 2, a fixed deal with BG for 2 years works our even cheaper, its like playing Russian roulette and all wrong. good luck with the search

1 Like

Thanks, you too! I hope you find something that suits!

1 Like

Hi @tinap If your winter usage will be lower than projected this year we can discuss keeping your payments as they are.

As we take payments for a month in advance, your account should be one month’s payment in credit. If you’re happy to top your account balance up to one month’s payment amount I can set your payments to stay as they are.

The point is we all shouldn’t have to slug it out with you privately to get our bills reduced back down to what they should be at when we’ve all been dutifully sending in our meter readings each month and keeping our energy usage as low as possible, and paying our bills on time to boot. Whilst credit is ideal, anyone can agree that, it shouldn’t be a legal requirement, and although other energy companies certainly do recommend it, they don’t force it on people and even refund the credit to the last penny if its requested.

Also, I’m finding it really quite bizarre how Bulb members of staff keep saying they have looked at several of our accounts now after reading our complaints, but in the very same breath they say they “contact us so we can look at your account and fix this” or words to that affect.
Bulb, you cannot keep telling people that you can see by looking at their account that their bills are being doubled, tripled in some cases because you’ve looked at their accounts and are basing it on their projected usage over the winter and say in the same post that you want these unhappy customers to contact you privately so you can look at their accounts to see if anything can be done because something doesn’t sound right, and expect people not to notice.

Again, for the hundredth time, we are not angry at having to pay more (where it is obviously needed).
We are not angry at price increases on wholesale gas and that having to be passed down to us in some form.
We are not simply misunderstanding that our bills are paid a month in advance and you like us all to keep a month’s worth of credit to cover for any debt that might build up; we get all that believe it or not.

We are angry that we are tracking our usage to the last penny each and every month, doing all of the math it requires.
We are angry we are sending in our meter readings on time every month.
We are angry that we are being told that despite this, and despite having credit, we are all still in debt somehow or we don’t have enough credit, or we never somehow have enough credit, even when more than enough have come forward and said they have in excess of 6 months credit built up. I myself have been told by yourselves that I am somehow simultaneously in debt and in credit at the same time, and I also apparently use 66£ of energy each month when I only use 60.
We are angry that the control to lower or increase our payments ourselves has suddenly been taken away from us when it’s the main reason many of us stayed with you, it was literally your USP. Going by your own figures for me, I apparently use 66 every month but I can’t go any lower than 75 a month?
We are angry that we are having massive price increases forced on us out of the blue that are not justified that we don’t owe and cannot afford, right at the start of winter, in the middle of a pandemic to boot.

I have yet to see literally anyone at bulb give an honest answer to any of this.

3 Likes

The w/sale price of gas is still falling as of 28/09/2020

1 Like

I meant electricity, shouldn’t catch up when I’m half asleep, my bad.

No worries often done the same myself pre cornflakes and lager.
BTW, increase in price has nowt do do with w/sale cost, more to do with crowd funding their venture into the USofA

Oh I know this. But I think we’re all at the point where we want bulb to admit this, at least in a half assed way, or something. I don’t know. I always was a dreamer I guess.

1 Like

Probably need a court order for bulb to admit the sun rises in the East

2 Likes

Aye, I don’t doubt that