Error on my bill! Bulb estimates wrong!!

I’ve been charged £268 for one month of electricity! Never in my life has this happened! ever! I’ve lived at my property for six years! The most I’ve paid and had a nervous breakdown due to it is £120! I have storage heaters that are set for cheap electric at night. I’m at work all day and my usage is usually the same all year. It can’t increase at night as it’s set on economy 7! It doesn’t help that bulb keep estimating wrong and when I submit readings they tell me to wait as they can’t tell me what my bill should be! I praised Bulb when I joined but I think they are making errors on my account, not explaining fully what is happening and leaving me to stress! I will be leaving soon if this isn’t sorted out!

Hi @lucy628, I presume your Bulb account has simple been overcharged and no more has actually gone out of your bank account?

Bulb don’t change your monthly payments without asking so you should never have to worry about actually being charged more than usual.

As it sounds like this charge is very much out of the ordinary for you, I’d recommend ensuring that you have submitted recent meter readings, and then giving Bulb a ring (0300 30 30 635) to calculate a new bill for you.
If you haven’t submitted a reading for a while, the industry standard system which does estimates can go rather wrong at times and that might explain the very large charge.

When you look at your latest statement, does it say the last figures are estimates? If so, are they anywhere near your actual meter reading?

I have storage heaters that are set for cheap electric at night. I’m at work all day and my usage is usually the same all year. It can’t increase at night as it’s set on economy 7!
One thing to watch out for here is that this relies on your storage heaters knowing what time it is (and what your meter night times are), and also your Economy 7 meter having the right time. I'm afraid I can't help with checking storage heaters but with your meter, the time should be listed for you on the main display (or you may have to press a button to cycle through to it). If it's more than about 15 minutes out from the actual time (in GMT, same as we're on now) then it would be worth requesting an engineer to get this changed.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I submitted a last meter reading on 28 Dec, you estimated on 1 January, not sure why as I simply replied to your email requesting this the same day. Your day estimate is much higher than my true reading. There is no point calling you guys, you’ll just tell me to wait until the end of the month for it to get calculated automatically , so I’ll worry for a month. As for my meter, I’ve been reading it correctly for six years, I don’t need any help checking it but thanks, there’s nothing wrong with it and I certainly don’t need an engineer. Anyways I’m on gas central heating in two weeks so I’ll ask you to remove economy 7 tariff but I’d like you to fix this current overcharge. All you need to do is correct the incorrect estimates and lower the electricity charge to what it should be. I pay the same monthly instalment each month but because of the incorrect charges I’m in debit now. I’m really worried and your response is too vague and offers no help. Thanks

Hi @lucy628, just to clarify, I don’t work for Bulb.

Your day estimate is much higher than my true reading.
As mentioned above, the estimates for your account are not actually something that Bulb generate. They're generated by a third party.
There is no point calling you guys, you’ll just tell me to wait until the end of the month for it to get calculated automatically , so I’ll worry for a month.
Based on other threads on here, that's not correct. Plenty of people have provided new readings and requested (and received) a re-calculated bill. From my experience of calling Bulb, they're exceptionally helpful and will do their best to sort anything out for you if it's within their power.
As for my meter, I’ve been reading it correctly for six years, I don’t need any help checking it but thanks, there’s nothing wrong with it and I certainly don’t need an engineer.
Fair enough. It's been a common discussion topic between Bulb members this winter so I just thought I'd mention it.
I’m really worried and your response is too vague and offers no help.
I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance but with not being a Bulb employee, a little vague is often the best I can do.

@lucy628

The reads that you’d sent over to Bulb were used in the statement we sent over on the 2nd January, the estimates on the 1st January are calculated based off the reads you’d sent over. They were only used so there’s a read to close off the statement, but your reads are shown and definitely being used.

If you ever want an accurate statement based off of your reads, we can produce one for you, just ask! But we usually advise against it as it means you will get a short monthly statement next time round.

Hi Lucy,

I’ve had nothing but problems with BULB, I’ve been told one month my usage was over 2 thousand pounds!
I’m apparently using now between 70 and 100 pounds a month - when it should be between 20 and 40 maximum. The person I’ve been speaking to is no help whats so ever.
My usage doesn’t change monthly - the same things are used daily no matter what the month is, so how my costs have doubled in 3 months when nothing is any different I don’t know.

I too am thinking of leaving due to the stress that this is causing.

@Lauzeliz

Can you please be very specific, are you bills not your direct debit payments based on actual meter readings you have supplied to Bulb?

Your bill will say “Estimated Reading” or “Customer Read”.