Estimated gas reading

Hi I joined bulb on 17 July and submitted gas and electric readings. When I’ve come to submit my second gas reading I get an error because the reading is actually LOWER than last month. When I’ve looked into it you have actually ESTIMATED my gas reading and sent that to npower as my final reading. What is going on? Not a good start at all.

Hi I joined bulb on 17 July and submitted gas and electric readings. When I've come to submit my second gas reading I get an error because the reading is actually LOWER than last month. When I've looked into it you have actually ESTIMATED my gas reading and sent that to npower as my final reading. What is going on? Not a good start at all.

If you joined Bulb on 17 July, the actual switch would nominally have been on 7 August (i,e, 21 days after joining Bulb). When you joined Bulb you woudl not have had to supply a reading.

Did you provide a meter reading to Bulb a couple of days before the switch (you would have been emailed by Bulb to send a reading), this would have been the opening reading for Bulb and the closing reading for npower. If you didn’t supply a reading before the switch then an estimated reading woudl have to be used by Bulb.

No, 17 July was my switch date. I was contacted before this to submit meter readings., which i did. These were the readings which were used to calculate my final bill with npower. The readings were taken at the same time and submitted at the same time. I have checked my final statement from npower and it confirms that my electric reading was submitted as an actual reading but my gas was estimated. Yesterday I decided the best option was to re-submit my gas reading as the same value. Ie, as if I hadn’t used any gas at all, rather than a negative value. After all i have already paid npower for the estimated gas usage. As with the first readings, I received confirmation emails that they had been sent but the gas reading is still not showing on my account today whereas the electric was displayed instantly. I suggest bulb has issues with updating the gas readings as a quick search through the forum shows a fair percentage of people also have an issue with estimated gas readings. Not many have trouble with their electric. Apologies for the novel I have just constructed! Hope that makes more sense now!

Hey @efcol Thanks for the post, I can see that your reading was replaced with the estimated reading that was 26 units higher. This happens sometimes when we send readings to the previous supplier, the readings are validated by an independent party (who’s intended purpose is to sense-check the readings we’re providing, and to take note of the change-of-supplier read).

In your case they’ve failed this validation process - a little strange I appreciate as their estimate is so close to what you provided.

In your situation what this means is that you’ve already paid ahead for those 26 units. This means it’s free gas from Bulb until you get to that point! As both suppliers align on this figure, you’ll never be double charged. Annoying nonetheless, which I appreciate.

Thanks for the reply @euan, still think there may be an issue with the gas readings though. I’ve just checked my account and the gas reading has finally shown up, but way slower than the electric. Hopefully this is just a glitch.