Estimated usage being used over my meter readings

I’ve been with Bulb for over 2 months now, and have provided a number of meter readings. However both of my statements appear to be based on usage estimates, even though there are in month readings much lower than the opening estimate, and in one case 3 days prior to billing date over 350 units less than the estimated use.

At what point will this rectify itself?
Is there an optimum day prior to billing for me to be providing the meter readings?

I’m also seeing this… I’ve supplied multiple readings and none appear… looking forward to getting a reply on this!

Hi Andrew, might be a slightly different issue. My readings are appearing in my statement, but opening and closing balances are both estimates.

Hi @OllieC

The opening reads on your account are: L - 16946 N - 56148
The most recent ones on 4th July are: L - 17097 N - 56506

The reads looks absolutely fine compared to the opening read. The optimum day to send the meter reads is the day that we email to ask for them on the 22nd of the month.

@Andrew_F The reads were having some trouble going in due to the meter estimates not functioning correctly. I’ve added the most recent reads in and you will see them on the next monthly statement.

Thanks for confirmation Rob, my concern is more around the bills which seem to be ignoring the readings and have used estimations which are over double my actual usage.

Thanks for confirmation Rob, my concern is more around the bills which seem to be ignoring the readings and have used estimations which are over double my actual usage.

Did you submit your readings on the dates requested by Bulb? I couldn’t determine this from your initial query.

If you don’t submit the readings at the correct time then it means an estimated reading has to be used. By way of an example I knew I would be on holidays during the period when Bulb would require meter readings, so I sent Bulb my meter readings just before I went on holidays. Bulb then made an estimate of how many extra units I would use between my meter reading submission and the date of their statement preparation.

I was happy with their estimate since it wasn’t much more than my meter reading submissions and I am very confident it will correct itself for my next bill when I submit new meter readings at the requested time.

It looks as if your experience could be different to mine.

Hi Alan,

I appreciate the concept of the Estimated bill and didn’t manage to get the reading in on time in Month 1, because of being away.

–Extract from Month 1 bill–
25 April 2018 56149 Opening Estimate
8 May 2018 56166 Read
25 May 2018 56468 Estimate

Energy (day) 319 kWh charged
–Extract from Month 1 bill–

I then took a reading at first opportunity in an attempt to assist the adjustment at next bill. This seems to have been completely ignored on the 2nd bill, where I read the meter on the day in with it was requested.

–Extract from Month 2 bill–
25 May 2018 56468 Estimate
26 May 2018 56294 Read
22 June 2018 56445 Read
25 June 2018 56791 Estimate

Energy (day) 323 kWh charged
–Extract from Month 2 bill–

The same is true for my night readings, as you can see from the figures reported I’ve been charged for almost double my actual usage.

Thus my questions about optimum date for supplying readings and expected rectification period, given the site is now suggesting that I should be upping my contribution.

@OllieC I’ve always found that you only get your actual readings taken into account for a bill if you submit them exactly 2 days before the billing date.

If they’re submitted when you get the reminder (usually 3 days before the billing date) they’re ignored and you get an estimate. If you submitted them 1 day before the billing date the gas reading didn’t register in time for the bill, though this issue may now have been addressed.

I’d call them, give your readings and ask for a correct bill to be issued - they’ve always been happy to do this.

@OllieC I've always found that you only get your actual readings taken into account for a bill if you submit them exactly 2 days before the billing date.

If they’re submitted when you get the reminder (usually 3 days before the billing date) they’re ignored and you get an estimate…

As I have only had two bills to date I can’t confirm if the 2 day versus 3 days situation applies.

My experience to date:

Bill Date 02 June Meter Readings supplied 31 May (my bill statement was based on my readings)

Bill Date 01 July Meter Readings supplied on 26 June (due to holidays) my bill statement was based on an estimated reading which was only slightly higher than my actual readings.

I would be quite happy to wait for the email reminder to arrive and then give the meter readings, unless of course I know in advance I will away when the reminder is due to arrive…

Something seems to be amiss with OllieC estimates provided by Bulb.

Never had a problem in the last six months in submitting readings 2 days before the statement date ie the day after the email.
AFAICR it’s always been before noon - don’t know whether a later time would make a difference.