EV Community Update

:car: :zap: :car: :zap: :car: :zap: :car: :zap: :car: :zap:

Just dropping in with an Update from the EV Team

Over the next few months, we’re trialing Electric Vehicle (EV) products with some of our members

We’ve created a section of the community for this, so we can discuss how everything’s going, and get lots of feedback from everyone using the products.

This section won’t be visible to most people in the Bulb Community, so if you see it mentioned and don’t know where to find it, this is why!

We’d love to get more people involved in these trials, so if you’ve got an EV and want to get involved, give us a shout :mega:

You can also register your interest here: https://bulb.co.uk/electric-vehicles/

2 Likes

I’ve got an EV, and will possibly be (again) having two in the near future. However I’m very sceptical, given my experience with the fitting of a Smart Meter at my property. I’ve previously been on a government scheme for monitoring my usage and all the kit is still fitted. I can’t see how you are going to get anything working properly, until you solve all the problems you are having with Smart Meters and until you have the ability to deal with problem issues in a timely manner . Also your rates for dual tariffs are not competitive, (especially with the last price hike announcement) where E7 tariffs are rising disproportionately.

Hi there @DaveDB,

It’s nice to hear that you’re getting involved with EVs, which model do you have at the moment?
:oncoming_automobile:

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had a bad experience with your Smart Meter. I can see that you have an open complaint that is being dealt with by Amy, and we’ve arranged an engineer appointment on June 9th for you

Once we’ve got your smart meter working again, we can look at switching you over onto our EV Tariff, so you can get a super cheap rate during the night and schedule your EV Charging for this period :zap: :electric_plug:

Let me know if you have any more questions

Ed :bulb:

We have a Kia Soul 2017 30kw, which is essentially my wife’s car that we are both using at the moment. But I’m also looking at leasing an MG5 through my business at some time in the near future as we get back to “normal”, whatever that may be!. I admire your enthusiasm Ed, but my experience with Bulb has been dire. The whole reason for agreeing to go with a smart meter was the potential to eventually tap into available “smart tariffs” to charge my Evs. Without going into too much detail, I only agreed to the installation, if they could guarantee me keeping my E7 tariff, (in case they couldn’t get the smart meter working). Which they agreed could be done. Here we are 6 months later and now, only now, after the ombudsman’s decision are they coming out to hopefully set it up on a dual rate (on site), after having left the meter, 6 months ago, in a (single rate) dumb state. So here we are, Bulb are raising people’s expectations, selling a concept, when the reality and experience of people like me is telling a very different story. It should have not got to the stage where the Ombudsman got involved, to force Bulb to sort this out. It should have been sorted within the first week after the installation.

Hi

Do you have any news on issues related to smart charging feature in the app. Currently even if I have the smart charging feature enabled it still charges immediately, despite on needing 10% charge.

Thanks

Hi
I have a nissan leaf and I already have a smart meter. I’d be interested in joining the trial.

Hi @jtongue,

When you set up smart charging, it should schedule your charging so you reach your target % by the deadline that you have set, but focus doing as much charging as possible on the cheapest & greenest times (2-6am). If your car needs more charging than it can do purely on the off-peak, it may need to top-up with charging during peak times

I’ve sent you a DM to discuss specific issues you might be experiencing, so feel free to reply to that and I can specifically look into your account

Hi @geopringle,

Thanks for reaching out :oncoming_automobile: :zap:

We’d love to get you onboard with our trials, but it looks like your set-up might not be supported by our EV products yet, sorry :pensive:

Our charging app features don’t yet support Nissan EVs, and to join the EV Tariff, you need to have a SMETS2 smart meter - your meter is a SMETS1 meter installed by your previous supplier. We’d need to wait until this has been enrolled onto the Smart Network we work with (DCC) before we could switch you over

If you’d like to sign up to our waiting list to get updates on EV products, please follow this link: https://bulb.co.uk/electric-vehicles/

Thanks,
Ed
:smile:

Hi there, have been a Bulb customer for many years and have had a Smart Meter recently installed. I have a BMW PHEV, is it possible to still join the trial for the EV tariff? If not, how long do we expect to have to wait, would I be better off switching?

Hey @Lysander :wave:

Welcome to the Community!

I can see @EdB_at_Bulb managed to send you an email about the EV tariff already! If you’ve got any more questions please feel free to email back to us :blush:

1 Like