EV home charging point

Bulb should seriously consider supplying and installing EV home charging points for their customers to continue with the “being green” and environmentally conscience theme.

Bulb aren’t obliged to provide an EV charging point. In fact the government incentives for new electric vehicles allow for installation of charging points.

Bulb offer a three rate tariff for EV owners for cheap night charging.

Why? As @FromTheValleys says there’s already a government grant to cover most of the cost of the installation.

As someone has already written, when you buy an electric car, you will be offered a home charging point and the cost can be subsidised by the car manufacturer with some government help according to what make of car you are buying. I bought a Renault Zoe and my home charge point was free.

Bulb say that they are trialling a new App to schedule charging for EV’s at the best times. Admirable - but EV’s come with Charge Schedulers built in and Home Charging Points from BP also have a built-in charge scheduler.
I’ve got Economy 7 tariff so I use the car’s scheduler to recharge after 2.00am when it’s cheapest. Not sure what the Bulb App can do to improve things.

If you were on an Agile tariff that tracks changes in the wholesale rate every half an hour, then you’d need an Agile timer to ensure the car charged at the cheapest time. The basic built-in timers don’t do that.

1 Like

I’d want to check that my car’s software was happy with that.
I’ve tried overnight scheduling using the software in my BP Chargemaster point and the Renault Zoe didn’t like that at all. Presumably because there was nothing coming down the connection and the car ‘talks’ to the Chargepoint for about 30 seconds while it validates the supply and checks the power level to select. The car displayed a message of ‘Unable to charge’.
The car is perfectly happy when I schedule the charge time using the on-board software presumably because it’s in control and knows what to expect.

I certainly agree. I have To drive between two locations 80 miles apart, one in central London. I have had inordinate difficulty getting an EV charging point installed at a country cottage and ultimately paid £2,200 because I didn’t qualify for the grant. I am now also trying to get another fitted at my flat in central London (where I will qualify). A recent quote is £4,000 (plus the grant. Most companies I have been in contact with have simply ignored my enquiries, and BP Chargemaster were so unbelievably rude, I refuse to have them anywhere near my property. it would be great if Bulb could help out here.

How do you get a charging point for a flat? Do you have a dedicated car parking space where you can buy a charging point for it?

I’m curious. What difficulties have you encountered that have resulted in such high costs? The EVSE is essentially a fancy outdoor socket. My 7kW Pod Point EVSE cost me just £95 after the grant and contribution from Nissan is included. Even without the support it would have cost me less than £1k.

1 Like

Hi,
Yes, I have a dedicated parking space. The electricity meter room is located in the underground car park - so far so good! However, my space is as far from my meter as it could possibly be. The trunking for the cables needs to be galvanised steel, across the ceiling of the car park. So to take the feed off my meter, the quote is £4,000 plus the grant :flushed:. The alternative is that I persuade all the the other residents to pitch in over £1,000 each to have the complete wiring installed ready for their own charging point to be installed (for a further £800 each) when they need one. And why would they invest £1,000 now if they have no need for a charging point, just to help me out? Another company quoted far more for the whole car park but wanted to take the feed from the communal supply and then have a complex master unit to bill each flat as they use their charger. I think this decision will wait for a clear head in the New Year :grimacing:

Hi Hooloovoo, firstly, I contacted at least 4 companies, including Chargemaster and PodPoint who insisted I sent photos of the property and site where the unit is to be installed. None of these companies had the courtesy to even respond to me after receiving the photos. Finally, I was recommended a company by an electrician who had done work for us previously. This company, FSG property services, Milton Keynes, responded very quickly. They came to the property, did a site survey, answered all our questions and made several really useful suggestions. Within 2 weeks they had installed 2 charger units (one in the garage, one outside - future proofing :grimacing:). The work took two days to be completed, including running 35m of armoured cabling across the back of the cottage, under a path and into the garage, plus significant changes to the consumer unit indoors. There is a switch box in the garage (only one charger can be used at any one time as the house supply isn’t large enough to take two cars charging simultaneously). I have to say, Rob at FSG Prop. services (www.fsgpropertyservices.co.uk) was excellent throughout and electrician amenable and helpful as well.

Thanks @drpete143. Yes, if extensive ground works are required the price goes right up. Generally Pod Point etc. are only interested in doing the easy installations. Whilst they will quote for larger works, it’s generally best to get all the cabling installed first in situations like yours, so all they’ve got to do is put the EVSE on the end of it. That way at least you still get the benefit of the grant.

For my property, no electrical testing had been done for decades and it still had old wire cartridge fuses. Before getting the EVSE installed I decided to get a full EICR done (a proper one, not a £50 visual and write the certificate job) plus get the consumer unit replaced. That cost in total about £650, which obviously I didn’t include in the £95 cost I stated above. So £745 in total. That did include running SWA cable under floorboards to get to an external wall, which Pod Point don’t cover as part of the standard installation unless you’ve already got the floor boards up and run a fish wire which I had done myself in advance.