EV Tarriff & "smart meters"

So my annual charges are now over £4400 however bulb advise that I could reduce this to £3770 a year by using a smart meter which changes my tarrif to the “new” EV tarriff - and the meter submits readings on my behalf (I’m pretty good at submitting readings monthly as it is).

However - when I try and sign up (I already have a smart meter from SSE installed pre bulb switch in 2020) it says BULB willbe in touch when they can use the meter.

I get some meters are different but given a near £1000 saving on my elecrticity surely bulb should be allowing their customers to switch to this “cheaper” tarriff until THEY sort out the issues.

Otherwise - can I ask while BULB try and resolve this issue and are preventing customers from making this move to the cheaper tarriff, will they be refunding the difference to those of us whop are prevented from moving?

Given I’m spending nearly £400 a month (no doubt will get bhigher come October) ANYTHING I can do to reduce my bills right now would be a BIG help!

Your meter is presumably a first generation smart meter and Bulb won’t be able to read it until it migrates to the DCC. When that’s likely to happen is anyone’s guess and as far as I’m aware Bulb won’t replace these with second generation meters, so they shouldn’t really be recommending smart tariffs to you.

Only SMETS1 meters manufactured by Secure can communicate smartly when a customer changes supplier.

thanks for this. To be honest I think if bulb have the ability to offer their customers a “cheaper” tarriff (although its moe expensive during the day it averages out cheaper over the year) - they should be offering this to everyone not just those with smart meters!

Its unfair and in this day and age regardless of their currentr financial situation morally vile to prevent people from doinge verything they can to save money.

Bulb prided themselves on being able to offer their customers the best tarriff - surely whether you have a smart meter or not (something that must be costing bulb a small packet to install even if they are given their current circumstances) is irrelevant - if this new “ev” tarriff is cheaper for its customers then THAT should be the default tarriff to offer people - not the flat rate one. I dont have an EV (yet) but do run many of my appliances overnight like washing machines, dryers, dishwashers etc. Surely every little helps (sorry ASDA)

In order to be on a smart (time of use) tariff, a supplier needs to be able to read your meter every half hour. So it’s all meter dependent.

Thanks Norman.
I figured it would be something like that - however I still dont really understand why that makes a difference. At the end of the day they have allolcated a higher tarriff between specific times and a lower tarriff at all other times. What the end user chooses to “do” with the power at that time is kind of a moot point.
We are all doing what we can to put things on during “off leak” times when demand is much less. Whilst demand may rise marginally the vast majority of households wont make any changes or deem those changes irrelevant on the grand scheme of things or are doing this anyway.

If bulb have the power to reduce customers tarrifs whether its linked to a meter or not is really irrelevant - I cant see how having a meter reading every 30 minutes is going to make things any more efficient as bulb will never be able to assess what each household is doing in that time. My consumption for example regardless of the time of year is pretty much static each month - a small variation in the summer but overall we fluctuate +/- 100-500 units a month which given the age and size of my home is in line wuith seasonal changes. People work from home more at the moment but many like my household are moving to a mix of office/home working. Many like my household have shifted to more appliances being used in the evening. Many dont have EV cars or have the ability to charge them at work.

Just seems like a very small minority bill “benefit” from this new tarriff.

Perhaps Bulb should consider a non smart meter alternative. Or just make the bold move and offer it to all their customers and encourage them to make the move the off peak use where they can.

Adrian

What the energy is used for doesn’t matter but a supplier needs to know the usage at specific times if the price changes throughout the day. i.e. if the off-peak period for the EV tariff is 2am-6am then they need to know your usage in that period so they can bill you at the cheaper rate. That’s why they need frequent readings from a smart meter.