Few Questions...

Ok so…Im currently with EDF being ripped off at 17.69p per unit of energy kwh, and Bulb is offering 13p. I was very happy until I started reading recent negative reviews that Bulb is thieving money from people and refusing to make refunds. There are many people telling others to avoid Bulb like the plague.

We have a second generation smart meter so surely Bulb could never take more than is owed, because we’d know how much we have used…?

The thing is, across Bulb’s facebook page they have Negative reviews in the comments yet they refrain from responding to a single person. Suspicious??

We have a second generation smart meter so surely Bulb could never take more than is owed, because we’d know how much we have used...?

That would be the case regardless of what type of meter you have. The very purpose of the meter, whether it’s an old mechanical one with dials, a modern digital meter, or a new smart meter, they all have the sole purpose of showing how much you’ve used.

It’s true that Bulb customer service is rubbish lately. But I do feel that the majority of bad reviews are simply clueless people that have no understanding of how their energy bills actually work, or how the standard monthly direct debit system operates. For example, the person declaring “it’s no cheaper”, come on this is a quantitative value. Either the cost per kWh is cheaper or it’s not. There’s no argument or debate.

The only way you can be “overcharged” is if they use a different rate on your bill to what is advertised, and there’s no way to get away with that. Even if an estimated meter reading is used that is higher than the actual reading, that’s still not an overcharge because it’ll all get corrected at the next actual reading.

Basically the vast majority of complaints are morons being morons.

We have a second generation smart meter so surely Bulb could never take more than is owed, because we’d know how much we have used...?

That would be the case regardless of what type of meter you have. The very purpose of the meter, whether it’s an old mechanical one with dials, a modern digital meter, or a new smart meter, they all have the sole purpose of showing how much you’ve used.

It’s true that Bulb customer service is rubbish lately. But I do feel that the majority of bad reviews are simply clueless people that have no understanding of how their energy bills actually work, or how the standard monthly direct debit system operates. For example, the person declaring “it’s no cheaper”, come on this is a quantitative value. Either the cost per kWh is cheaper or it’s not. There’s no argument or debate.

The only way you can be “overcharged” is if they use a different rate on your bill to what is advertised, and there’s no way to get away with that. Even if an estimated meter reading is used that is higher than the actual reading, that’s still not an overcharge because it’ll all get corrected at the next actual reading.

Basically the vast majority of complaints are morons being morons.

I see, but should they be taking estimates anyway? The smart meter should be providing the reading to them automatically shouldnt it?

I see, but should they be taking estimates anyway? The smart meter should be providing the reading to them automatically shouldnt it?

Ideally yes. If it’s an old SMETS1 meter then Bulb can read only about 1/3 of the installed meter stock. You have a SMETS2 meter so Bulb should be able to read it after your switch, but even then if you look around other threads on this forum there are lots of problems with billing, very similar to many other suppliers.

So for the next few months while issues are resolved, you perhaps might end up still having to enter your readings once a month to avoid estimates being used.

Are you familiar with how the standard monthly direct debit system works, where it’s intended for your to build up credit over the summer in order to help pay your higher bills over the winter? See: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115003405632-How-do-payments-and-statements-work-

Provided you understand how the system works you wont have any problem with perceived “overcharges”.

I’ve no idea what “price hiked beyond the allowed guidelines” means. Nothing like this has ever happened. Any other fellow community members have any thoughts?

Hi @SamEnergy ,

Firstly I’d like to say thanks for taking an interest in coming over to us. Hopefully I can follow up on @Hooloovoo here and answer some of your questions.

As @Hooloovoo mentions we’ll only charge at the advertised rate, like every other supplier we could never charge at any other rate as it’d be illegal. We certainly don’t want to break the law or lie to our members. And unlike many suppliers we only have the one tariff so can’t charge anything other than what you see advertised.

Provided we receive accurate readings from the member or from their smart meter then we’ll always bill them for the energy they’ve used, no more no less. If we don’t receive readings, then again like all other suppliers, we have to estimate the usage and this will be based on the historic usage of the property. We can also correct the estimates as soon as we do receive the readings and any over payments will be credited back.

As you have a second generation smart meter (the SMETS2 Hooloovoo mentions), we certainly can take the readings from it automatically and this mean you’ll always be billed for what you’ve used anyway.

We have been slow recently in responding to social media responses recently, this has been due to such sudden growth, but we’ve now adapted and are getting back to responding to our members queries as quickly as possible.

I hope you do join us and feel free to get in touch again with any other questions.

Best

Oisin