Final meter readings

I am no longer leaving at the property and i want to submit my final meter readings.
All the bills are currently on my ex’s name.
How do I proceed?


Hi there @Abz either your ex can add the readings online in her bulb account or you (or she) could ring us up with the readings and the date you moved out, or put the same info in an email. You can email or give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 from 9:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday.