Fracking

Is bulb frack free?

Yes. See -

@NT100 Absolutely :slight_smile:

why are you opposed to fracking when this is a sensible way to reduce gas imports?

The raison d’etre and ethos of Bulb is all about green, renewable energy sources.
Imported or not, gas is a fossil fuel.

@petelewisr, I get the impression you joined Bulb for cheap prices rather than environmental/ethical concerns. While that is fine, you’re probably unlikely to find many on here who share your views.

Burning gas produces that well known greenhouse gas known as CO2. You may not believe that an increase of CO2 is an issue, but again you’re likely to find yourself in the minority.

If we have to import more gas, the price goes up, and people increasingly start to look for alternatives.
Here in the UK that may be battery storage with tidal/wind power or something else, but as renewables are pretty much universally agreed upon to be the cheapest form of power (https://www.ebrd.com/news/2018/ebrd-says-renewables-are-now-cheapest-energy-source-.html) I think a lot of people are optimistic that it would just increase renewable generation.

Minority? Fracking is supported by the government and most of the population apart from fringe activists…most of use gas for space heating etc and bulb’s own tarriff figures show electricity is about five times dearer per kWhr. It is surely in the national interest to develop our own resources here. Other countries such as Japan and Australia are busy developing their reliance on LNG for example, and the USA has pioneered use of fracking to develop their resource.

@petelewisr, most people appear to not support fracking:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/03/public-support-for-fracking-in-the-uk-at-record-low-official-survey-reveals
I’m always happy to have a discussion but please start providing some references for your claims if you have any.

I also said you’re in the minority believing that CO2 does not have a significant impact on climate change.

It’s in everyone’s interest to not cause climate change.

Australia funnily enough are investing heavily in reneawables and battery storage as it’s considered a far more workable solution for a energy issues they face.
Renewables are cheap to install and can be easily scaled up as required, and the Tesla battery storage has significantly reduced their reliance on gas for grid stability.

The USA have shown the world the issues that fracking can cause, from pressurised gas entering underground aquifers (and then people’s drinking water), and massive increases in seismic activity.

Opinion polls have shown for some time that most people want cheap energy, and current prices are hurting many people, especially those on low incomes. High prices for electricity are partly caused by support for renewables, and indeed coal fired power stations are now profitable again thanks to higher gas prices. I know that coal prices are low since I buy it directly for my own fires…so why shouldn’t we as consumers benefit from using coal to generate electricity? Or are you keen to keep energy prices as high as possible, and generate more profits for bulb? Fracking is safe and productive, and should be supported by fair minded consumers to keep gas prices low…
on water pollution, most water supplies especially in Lancashire, where fracking has just started, is supplied from reservoirs in the Lakes and such sources are totally unaffected by fracking.

@petelewisr, again what you’re posting is simply your opinion, so it seems like our discussion may have reached an end.

I know that coal prices are low since I buy it directly for my own fires....
I'm glad I live in a smokeless zone and Clean Air Act area so inconsiderate folks like yourself can't stink up my street by burning coal.
Opinion polls have shown for some time that most people want cheap energy, and current prices are hurting many people, especially those on low incomes.

I don’t disagree with this, but just because people want (a) doesn’t necessarily mean (b). I mean, people want to get served quickly in the shops, but I doubt many people would be in favour of a ‘Thanos Snap’ getting rid of 50% of the population.

High prices for electricity are partly caused by support for renewables,

The new Hinkley Point C nuclear power station has a fixed/guaranteed ‘strike price’ for electricity of £92.50/MWh (which means they’ll be charging that price for power) - the current wholesale price is £51/MWh.

Offshore wind turbines look to be £57.50/MWh dropping to £53/MWh with Solar around £50/MWh.

Fossil fuels can only get more expensive as they are depleted or get harder to recover, however renewables get cheaper as the technology to ‘use them’ (improved solar panels/turbines) etc gets cheaper/easier to make.

I mean, people want to get served quickly in the shops, but I doubt many people would be in favour of a 'Thanos Snap' getting rid of 50% of the population.
#thanosdidnothingwrong :wink:
The new Hinkley Point C nuclear power station has a fixed/guaranteed 'strike price' for electricity of £92.50/MWh (which means they'll be charging that price for power) - the current wholesale price is £51/MWh.

Offshore wind turbines look to be £57.50/MWh dropping to £53/MWh with Solar around £50/MWh.

On that note, I believe even the future Wylfa power station (which we’ve invested £5B in) has a strike price of £75.

No, my opinion on fracking is supported by the known facts, and fortunately by the government. The Luddites (aka Greens) of this country would have us return to the stone age. Gas is a widely used natural resource and users will demand action to develop our own resources. gas oil and coal.

So why did you join Bulb @petelewisr? If I had strong views like yours I wouldn’t join this company on principle. There are cheaper options around now as well - you weren’t swayed by the referral scheme, were you?

The deal offered was the cheapest at the time, and what guarantee is there that all Bulb’s electricity is renewable? The National Grid is what it says and takes all elec once generated!

The deal offered was the cheapest at the time, and what guarantee is there that all Bulb's electricity is renewable? The National Grid is what it says and takes all elec once generated!

This should answer your query https://bulb.co.uk/energy/

I am unconvinced: does Bulb operate its own grid attached solely to wind and solar farms etc? The National grid takes all generated electricity whatever its source, and there is no selection of green sources or even fossil fuel sources.

I am unconvinced: does Bulb operate its own grid attached solely to wind and solar farms etc? The National grid takes all generated electricity whatever its source, and there is no selection of green sources or even fossil fuel sources.

You know very well Bulb don’t operate their own grid system.

I liken the system by saying if Bulb purchases X amount of energy from verifiable green energy producers and Bulb provides X amount of energy to their customers then Bulb is a 100% green supplier.

Personally I cringe at the mention of climate change so no matter if it cools or warms its climate change which it has done for centuries. In my lifetime I have had media panicking the public over both cooling and warming.
I firmly believe that in the next hundred years or so the population will implode either through war or some catastrophic disease to the point that climate change will be well down the priority list.

Let’s hope so.

I firmly believe that in the next hundred years or so the population will implode either through war or some catastrophic disease