Gas unit hike 40%

My unit price when I switched was 2.73p / kWh and a month later it is increasing to 3.84p / kWh - that is actually 40% (40.659% to be precise). Can the wholesale price of gas have gone up in the last few months so much without there being a state of emergency? I have a combi boiler and this will put me over a barrel!

I don’t think anyone is happy with the price increases, I have just done a comparison price check and Bulb is still cheaper than the big 6.
Whether there is a cartel or not we will never know but fuel prices have rocketed this year.

You may find this informative:

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/why-are-uk-energy-prices-rising/

My unit price when I switched was 2.73p / kWh and a month later it is increasing to 3.84p / kWh - that is actually 40% (40.659% to be precise). Can the wholesale price of gas have gone up in the last few months so much without there being a state of emergency? I have a combi boiler and this will put me over a barrel!

Purely as another customer, who also is experiencing a gas pricei increase today.

Sometime ago I’m reasonably certain there was a comment on this forum by the Bulb team as to why some gas prices were increasing by this large amount. I will have to do a search of the forum to try and find they posting.

In the meantime perhaps you can clarify your comment?

If you switched after say 10 September your unit cost for gas should not have changed, the price increase took affect for new customer on about 10 September and should therefore not have changed a month later?

I’m assuming therefore that you switched before 10 September in which case Bulb gave all existing customers 60 days notice the option to switch if they werene’t happy with the price increase?

@cjl88 One thing you need to make sure is you are using the rates including VAT to look at the price differences. The current rate of 3.84p / kWh is with VAT whilst 2.73p / kWh you mention is without VAT. The actual old rate including VAT is 2.8644 p / kWh.

This means that the % increase is 34%.

Unfortunately, wholesale gas costs have rocketed and additionally, in some regions our old rates were an extremely good deal. We are increasing them in line with wholesale costs and bringing them to where they should be. They may still be cheaper than the big 6 and we recommend you compare the rates with whichever supplier you might be interested in.