Gas Usage - Smart Meter

I recently got my smart meter and everything works pretty well aside from the electricity reading disconnecting and connecting every so often but that’s not that big an issue for me.

The gas reading everyday uses a few pence even when I don’t use the gas at all. I’m not fussed about the money but just curious why this is. Is it the standing charge or indicative of a gas leak or some appliance I’m not aware of?

Thanks.

I believe the standing charge is added at midnight each day.

I recently got my smart meter and everything works pretty well aside from the electricity reading disconnecting and connecting every so often but that’s not that big an issue for me.

The gas reading everyday uses a few pence even when I don’t use the gas at all. I’m not fussed about the money but just curious why this is. Is it the standing charge or indicative of a gas leak or some appliance I’m not aware of?

Thanks.

In order to work your Gas heating systems has a constant small light which is called “pilot light”. (you can search for this term) That way when you switch it on it doesn’t have to fire up again. (I think you can see the “pilot light”, it’s a small flame)
The result is a few pence per day.
Hope that helps you a bit :wink:

Also most gas boilers have a small tank that pre heats water for the hot water tap, it could be that as it will fire up throughout the day.

Makes sense. Thanks for your help guys!