Getting off economy 7

I am in North Wales on Anglesey. We have updated our storage heaters in our house to a standard heating and now no longer need economy 7. I have phoned Mabweb to try and get it changed and they told me my energy supplier would be the person to ask. Can I arrange for an engineer to come out to change us to a single rate? We are currently paying too much for our energy!

I believe your options are:

1. Pay Bulb ~£120 to replace your meter. I wouldn’t recommend this as that’s a lot of electricity…
  2. Request a smart meter and wait for that to be fitted for free.
  3. Move to a bigger supplier who can change them for free, see here

Can’t Bulb just charge you their normal tariff rate for both readings? Then, there’d be no need for a meter change.

Can't Bulb just charge you their normal tariff rate for both readings? Then, there'd be no need for a meter change.

No :’(

I am also interested in this issue. I have had smart meters fitted a few weeks ago yet I am still on the economy 7 tariff. I’ve phoned Bulb to ask if I can be moved to the usual tariff as I don’t use much energy at night at all and they said it’s not yet possible with the smart meters?

Does anyone have any advice please? Obviously I don’t want to be paying the higher day rate when I could just be on the standard tariff.

Thanks

Hi, I also want to change from Economy 7 to standard. Option with the smart meter sounds good-and confirmed with bulb my area can have smart meters installed. But does anyone know if the off-peak circuit that only provides electricity during off-peak hours changes to 24h circuit then? I wouldn’t want to lose this circuit (I’ve heard there are 2approches to those circuits: either disconnect totally or switch to standard 24h one). Thanks!

Hi, I also want to change from Economy 7 to standard. Option with the smart meter sounds good-and confirmed with bulb my area can have smart meters installed. But does anyone know if the off-peak circuit that only provides electricity during off-peak hours changes to 24h circuit then? I wouldn't want to lose this circuit (I've heard there are 2approches to those circuits: either disconnect totally or switch to standard 24h one). Thanks!

If you have a separate switch E7 circuit then you’ll need an electrician to work on your local side of the installation to resolve this before the meter is changed. It may be that the electrician will have to liaise with the meter fitter to do the work at the same time, simply due to technicalities with what electricians are allowed to touch with respect to the meter.

hi, is this still the case that Bulb won’t just charge same rate for both registers? My old supplier did (actually the comparism showing Bulb being cheaper can’t have been right then…) seems a bit weird not to and charge for a physical meter exchange when that isn’t necessary, I’ve just transferred to them but now seems will change to get meter swapped for free…