Greenwashing

Hey @mowcius. Thanks for the link to the new page. I’m glad Bulb are making their mix clearer (and in my opinion, more honest) and it did answer my question.

The way I read it 80% of the electricity they buy is from the wholesale market, 45% of which is produced by fossil fuels. That’s what I meant by “they’re buying coal” (although national grid is only 3% coal but it was just an example).

So for me Bulb’s electricity is only ~50% green (20% from renewable generators then 80% from the grid of which 36% is renewable 36x0.8 = 28.8% ~ 30% cause I’m nice). The rest is REGOs and I agree with you I don’t think it contributes massively in shifting energy towards renewables so we can pretty much call it greenwashing. Do you agree with my thinking?

I don’t think we should call it greenwashing (as it will just cause even more confusion of the term) but it’s absolutely not ideal.

i 100% disagree with your thinking because it nonsense. Greenwashing is such a BS term.
the 80% the is from the wholesale market and matched by REGOs is renewable. REGOs can only be provided for the amount of renewable in the mix. so by buying the REGOs is assigning the renewable in the mix to the purchasers of the REGOs. Your gibberish maths equation is just silly.

The consideration here is what adds to the demand for renewables. If you’re buying REGOs but your purchase of them isn’t actually changing the generation mix then is there any point actually paying the extra for those certificates?
Yes it might make you feel better that you’re getting the renewable portion of what’s in the grid, but you’re not actually making the grid any greener.

Direct purchase agreements and direct generation directly increase the proportion of green energy in the grid as the legal requirements on the big generators of dirty power and the left over renewable generation is completely separate.

Greenwashing is also a very specific thing - it’s when generating companies personally generate power with fossil fuels, and then buy left-over REGOs from other companies and then claim that their energy is “green” as it’s offset by said REGOs.

Bulb aren’t greenwashing dirty energy, but they’re also potentially not increasing demand for renewables as much as it might at first appear.

2 Likes