Had a smart meter for a year, how do I know if it’s working yet?

We had a smart metalled awhile ago and it had never worked. We still had to pull out the cabinets out every tine we wanted the readings.

After months of it sitting in the cupboard (as it was a total waste of time) I thought I should actually submit a reading this month.

However the numbers it’s displaying don’t look right. So short of pulling the house apart how can I check?

On a second point will these ever be fixed? Or is there another energy supplier that knows how to make smart meters work, maybe they can advise bulb :wink:

Hi @stowgary

Sorry to see that your smart meters aren’t sending us readings just yet. It seems like when we first installed them they didn’t commission to the smart network correctly, meaning we can’t communicate with them. That’s what also means the little in-home display (IHD) we gave you won’t be showing usages.

We’re constantly working on remote commissioning these meters, and once done we’ll be able to take readings and the IHD will start working too. Whilst our smart team are working on commissioning meters like yours, the process wouldn’t be sped up by sending out another engineer or switching supplier (they are industry-wide issues).

Sit tight, and we’ll get your smart meters up and running just as soon as we can :robot:

Hi Curtis,

While thank you for responding… that doesn’t answer my question :smiley:

I have accepted bulb smart meters don’t work as intended. However they should still pull the data to the meter. How do i get the very first step of the data to the meter? how do i even check it is working properly?

Or was your reply stating that all smart meters installed at the end of summer last year don’t work? or you handed out a lot of duff equipment?

or that there is no other energy supplier with a working meter in the market?

All i want to do is submit my energy readings so i am accuratly billed each month… without having to destroy my house monthly, because the new meters you installed require multiple button pushing (rather than the old school analog rotating number which was easier to read).

Hi @stowgary

Apologies, I’ll try clear those queries up here:

1. As the meters have not been commissioned to the smart network, we are unable to communicate with them remotely to pull any data on readings.
  2. The meters we have installed do work, it is just the case that we’ve had trouble getting yours connected to the smart network. There are a lot of complex reasons this can happen, not relating to the hardware but the software. This is why sending out an engineer won’t fix the problem, it is something we fix remotely from our end.
  3. I completely understand your desire to be billed accurately, that’s what we want too and we’re happy to help. I’d advise reading this help article here, which will help explain how to take manual meter readings from the meters themselves: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360029317971-How-to-read-Bulb-s-smart-meters

I do hope this helps. Let me know if you still have more questions on this, or would like further support reading the meters directly.

Hi Curtis,

A few thoughts below:

1. As the meters have not been commissioned to the smart network, we are unable to communicate with them remotely to pull any data on readings.

I dont need you to pull the data. The data should be pulled to the Device first, before it is sent to you… that is the problem.

2. The meters we have installed do work, it is just the case that we’ve had trouble getting yours connected to the smart network. There are a lot of complex reasons this can happen, not relating to the hardware but the software. This is why sending out an engineer won’t fix the problem, it is something we fix remotely from our end.

**Which software, the meter software, the handheld device software, or your internal network software? all 3 of these are independent.

• Your internal doesnt affect my meter. This is your communication issue

• if it is the software of the meters on my wall, why is it only affecting some users and not all? that would indicate a hardware fault or a an update requirements.

• Handheld software would be the same as the wall meter.

1. I completely understand your desire to be billed accurately, that’s what we want too and we’re happy to help. I’d advise reading this help article here, which will help explain how to take manual meter readings from the meters themselves: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360029317971-How-to-read-Bulb-s-smart-meters

You are ignoring the point that i do not want to pull my house apart to get the the wall meters. Hence the reason i want the handheld to work to give me the answer.
The old meters were analog, you could slide a phone down and take a photo… simples. The new meters require button pushes… ergo no phone photo… which means it is inconvenient.

Hi @stowgary

I’m going to send over an email so we can discuss this further with you there. That way we can discuss the context specifics of your case outside a public forum. I also apologize for not realizing earlier the meters themselves are inaccessible in the property.

I’ll be in touch shortly.