Help!!! Flat mates refusing to pay!

I don’t know what to do. I’ve received a larger energy bill than expected. I’ve paid you guys and everything as I realise it’s because I hadn’t entered my meter readings because I’m an idiot and thus it’s accumulated over the winter period when we were using more heating than September and October months where the estimations began. Now, the housemates are refusing to pay this (there are 7 of us in total, so we’re only talking for £45 for this month from them to cover their part of this, but that’s a lot for just one of me!). The statement makes it look like the heating was being used massive amounts in just the last month (March), but it has been being used all over winter during the snow months by everyone.

My first question is - would this bigger bill be from the estimations being too little in the previous month? This bigger bill is just recalibrating what we should have paid and would have paid if I had entered my meter readings. If this is the case, of course, it is my fault and I will offer to spread the costs over the normal monthly bill as it would have been before if I had been an adult and did the meter readings.

My other question is - could I put the other names of the tenants on this house on the bill? Legally as none of their names appears on the bills it is only me who will be penalised for any other months with higher payments. Obviously, I have covered the bill but I don’t want to be liable to any more of this in the future.

Thank you for your time,
Frankie

I would contact Bulb to discuss…Contact us by email, phone or webchat
Email us at help@bulb.co.uk, chat with us on the website or call us on 0300 30 30 635.
Mon-Fri although maybe closed for Easter.

Your estimates could be out as Bulb prefer readings every month. As a comparison though My bill for this month will be around £20 higher than March last year due to the colder weather.

I suspect you wont be allowed to put other tenants on the Bill, if that cant be done I would be doing individual contracts with each tenant and getting them to sign/date it.

I think a lesson learned, keep an eye on the readings, I take mine once a week although I only submit once a month. I use my own spreadsheet which gives me my Bill as it progresses each month.

@frances9997 The latest bill is indeed because your reading was higher than we were expecting. You can spread the costs however you like over the coming months.

If you want to have the other tenants to be named on the account we need their permission so it may be best to give us a call on 0300 303 0635 to sort this out.

I would imagine that if your housemates continue to pay you the same amount each month in the summer, you’ll come out on top at the end of it as your bills should go down dramatically as the weather warms up.

There’s no requirement to keep your Bulb account in credit over the winter (mine is still in debit) as it’s expected that over the summer the payments will cover it.