Help pick the charity we support this winter

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It’s been so encouraging to see. We’ve pulled together the shortlist, so please vote.

Click here to see the shortlist and vote

It’s nearly the holidays and since it’s the season of giving, we should help those who need it this time of year. Help us choose who to donate to by suggesting them in this discussion below.

We’ll also give one random member’s charity an extra £500 straight off the bat. To say thanks for helping us choose.

Who should we all support?

The only criteria we have is that we support a registered charity. And we’d like to make sure the contribution we make is having a big impact. Here some causes dear to our hearts over at Bulb HQ:
  • Crisis – Homelessness
  • White Helmets – Syrian Defence Force
  • National Energy Action – Fuel poverty
  • Save the Children – Christmas Jumper Day
  • Samaritans – Emotional support
  • Anything else you think is deserving

How to take part

Comment below with the name of your charity and why their cause is close to your heart. It’s also a good idea to think about why they’re the best charity for that cause. We’ll shortlist them and have a public vote in the Community on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone,
Hayden

White Helmets

Without looking up the relative wealth of each (given they are all deserving causes), I’ll go for:
National Energy Action – Fuel poverty

Nice 'n relevant. No one deserves to be living under a roof and without heat. (Not that anyone necessarily deserves to be living without a roof and without heat but you’re an energy company.)

Crisis – Homelessness. No-one should be without a home at Christmas.

I would go for
National Energy Action – Fuel poverty

You are an energy provider, let’s help people who can’t afford it!

Crisis

White Helmets. I’m a long term supporter of Crisis but I think the seriousness of the crisis in Syria warrants our help, especially during the winter months.

I think you should support the White Helmets. I think what they have to go through on a daily basis at the moment doesn’t bear thinking about and they deserve our help.

White Helmets

Save the children-Christmas jumper day

I think the Samaritans is suitable. They support so many people, especially at this time of year. I think they’d really benefit from the additional funding. I think an awful lot of people still refer to the Samaritans as a bit of a one stop shop and I know a handful of people who have found their support and guidance incredibly helpful.

Crisis/NEA both fit with energy.

The White Helmets - they are all good causes but the White Helmets are risking their lives on a daily basis to save others and many of them are being killed in the line of duty.

Samartians please

National Energy Action – Fuel poverty gets my vote.
What could be more relevant in here!

Crisis please - I’ve seen the great work they do especially around Christmas. They’d be worthy organisation - as i’m sure the others are too

What about the wonderful Cocktails in Care Homes run by Magic Me. Volunteers throw fabulous monthly parties in care homes, providing a lively social occasion for isolated residents including those with dementia. https://cocktails.magicme.co.uk/

all good causes but I vote for Samaritans as I know that it is in many ways it is ‘invisible’ and mental health is still a taboo subject for many people.

I would usually say Crisis – homelessness is just not right, and must feel especially lonely at Christmas… but given the atrocities going on, I have to say the White Helmets. :frowning: Huge, heartfelt warmth to them all. x

I’d like to nominate a charity in South Wales called Pedal Power which makes cycling accessible to everyone regardless of their abilities, disability or health condition etc. It gets people enjoying exercise in the outdoors and provides a great number of volunteering opportunities to help people build confidence and learn new skills. It really is a wonderful cause!