Help us build Bulb Prepay

Exciting news! Anyone with a prepayment meter can join Bulb. We’re looking for members to help improve the Prepay experience during our Beta.

We’d love you to become a tester.

Get started

Questions? We hope we’ve answered the biggies below. Just comment if we haven’t and we’ll let you know.

What is the Bulb Prepay Beta?
The Bulb Prepay Beta is the early version of our Prepay product where we gather feedback from our members to help us improve it. At the moment, we can only sign up dumb prepayment meters as we’re unable to communicate with 1st Generation smart prepay meters.

Who can join the Bulb Prepay Beta?
It’s open to everyone. You just need a prepayment meter of course.

How long will the Beta go on for?
There’s no set end date for the Beta. We’ll keep going until we’ve polished out any bugs and kinks.

Why are you running a Beta for Bulb Prepay?
Prepayment meters are complex. There’s more to it than meter readings and bills. Members need an electricity key or gas card for the meter. And somewhere to top up for their energy use. Through the Beta, we’ll work out how to be a great prepay provider.

What is expected of Beta testers?
We’ll ask you to fill in a survey once a month, flag any bugs you find to us and share feedback and ideas.

Thanks folks,
Clem at Bulb

Hi,

Can you post a guide to signing up to Bulb Prepay using a referral link please.

Thanks

• PJ

Hi,

How will the electricity key top-up work?

our current supplier has a day and night tariff for our top up meter so its cheaper to heat our flat & water at night. Does Bulb?

Signed up but shame theres no option to do this via a referral link I had so -£50 down ! :frowning:

Hi Clem
Thanks for the invitation, I am really happy to be a Bulb customer at last, and having the opportunity to help you develop your prepay product. Thanks

Regarding referrals, I imagine that as usual if you contact them with the details of the person who referred you, they will be able to add the credit on.

@pjg @Aarondodds If you want to come through a referral link , just let us know what the link is after signup and we’ll be able to send £50 credit your way, just send us an email to help@bulb.co.uk just use quote.bulb.co.uk/refer/CODE and replace CODE with the referral link you want to use.

@marcus_m we will send you a Bulb key for you to use, until you receive it you can continue to use the one you have and then simply start using the Bulb one

@danbaker The meter itself will remain 2-rate, you’ll just use our key to top it up and be billed on our tariff

@Lennyweb Great to have you with us! Let us know if anything goes wrong, we want all the feedback we can get

@pjg @Aarondodds Actually! Scratch out the last instructions, we’ve made this even easier. Just use quote.bulb.co.uk/refer/CODE and replace CODE with the referral link you want to use.

@“SJ at Bulb” so bulb will also provide a night tariff? What is that tariff? (It wasn’t mentioned when I went through the quote workflow, that I could see…)

@danbaker As you progress through the switch website, there’ll be a link that will say “Click here to refine your quote”, you’ll be able to specify whether you have a 2-rate meter and any usage details. Afterwards, it’ll update your quote to be 2-rate and the tariff details will show day and night rates.

@pjg @Aarondodds Actually! Scratch out the last instructions, we've made this even easier. Just use quote.bulb.co.uk/refer/CODE and replace CODE with the referral link you want to use.
Does that then detect that you have a prepay meter and wish to join the prepay beta?

At present I was under the impression you had to go via http://quote.bulb.co.uk/join/prepay which has no such referral capabilities.

@pjg @Aarondodds Actually! Scratch out the last instructions, we've made this even easier. Just use quote.bulb.co.uk/refer/CODE and replace CODE with the referral link you want to use.
Does that then detect that you have a prepay meter and wish to join the prepay beta?

At present I was under the impression you had to go via http://quote.bulb.co.uk/join/prepay which has no such referral capabilities.

It now asks you how you pay on the standard quote page

It now asks you how you pay on the standard quote page
Ahh, cool!

@mowcius yep we now have it set up so that if you follow that version of the referral link, e.g. quote.bulb.co.uk/refer/name123, it’ll give you an option to sign up for the prepay beta, it’s all new and exciting and should be up and running by now

Hey - I’ve signed up for the trial. Two questions:

- Will the referral credit just appear on my meter when I put in the key that you will send me?
^ email just confirmed it will be TransferWise

• The quoted rate during sign up and the rate it says that I’m on when I log in is different:

From the pre-signup quote:

From the information after sign up:

- The quoted rate during sign up and the rate it says that I'm on when I log in is different:
It looks like the quote is for single rate, and your actual rate is for a two rate (Economy 7) meter.

First bit of feedback on the beta then would be to clearly include all available rates on the same screen in the pre-sign up quote :wink:

Hi, I’m so happy to hear you are starting a Prepayment scheme. I have a prepayment electricity meter and a credit gas meter.
I just booked an appointment with my current supplier to change to a smart meter in 2 - 3 weeks. I have two questions:

1. Will I be able to join Bulb with a smart prepayment electricity meter?
  2. If so, would I have to wait until after the smart meters are installed before I can switch to you?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

@danbaker Thanks for the feedback, I will pass this on :slight_smile:

@Sojsz

1- Yes, you can switch with smart prepay, but it will switch from prepayment mode to credit mode. We cannot currently support the prepayment mode.

2- We recommend with any meter change that you apply to switch to us once the meters have been changed and when your current supplier has updated the shared industry database. Issues can arise if we switch and get sent the details for the old meter.