Help us test MyBulb v2

Hey folks,

We’ve been working hard to improve MyBulb for you all over the last couple of months, and we’d love to know what you think about it. We want to show you what we’re working on earlier rather than later so that we can make best use of your input.

Head to my2.bulb.co.uk to check it out. This is where we’re hosting it while we test it. It’s not perfect yet, so let us know if you find any bugs with it and we’ll iron them out.

Any changes you make here will affect your live Bulb account, so make sure you want any changes you make.

What we’ve changed:

• New codebase so we can make improvements faster in the future. Bad legacy code can cause problems in future if we don’t keep it tidy. We’re making our codebase much more robust now so that it doesn’t slow us down when making cool things in future.
  • We’ve improved the password reset when you’re already logged into MyBulb, so you don’t need to check an email anymore.
  • We’ve swapped gas and electricity around in the usage graph as electricity can be more variable.
  • No more modal pop-ups. On the old version, we’d show a pop up for some error messages and confirmation boxes. We’ve done away with them now as they don’t always behave properly on older browsers. We show them on the existing page now.

Bugs that we know about:

• Sometimes it shows an error message when you log in.
  • If you’re currently mid switch, a lot of the elements won’t work properly.
  • Password reset sometimes tells you that you need more than 6 characters, even if you have 7 or more.
  • We’ve set the timeout really low to help us test more quickly. So, if you’re on a slow internet connection, you might see a few timeouts. We’ll set this to something more normal when we launch it.
  • Account status text after your credit balance in Payment Details currently says your balance is always healthy, regardless of balance amount.

Things that we’re working on

• iOS app. This will initially just be similar to MyBulb on the website, but we’ll add more features over time. Let us know if you’d be interested in helping test that too.
  • Magic links so that you won’t have to enter your password to sign in if you’re coming to MyBulb from a link in an email we sent you.
  • Making loading a bit speedier.

Take a look and let us know if you see anything funky.

1. Have you come across any bugs?
  2. What would you like to see change about MyBulb in future?

I’d find it useful to have current balance displayed at the top of the Statements and Payments page.

I'd find it useful to have current balance displayed at the top of the Statements and Payments page.

Good thoughts, Thanks.

I think at some point we might have a look at making sure the grouping of sections makes sense properly. Perhaps we could merge statements into the payments section and move account details out of it. Would that make sense to you?

Looks good. I see the text is a bit smaller - good to see more content on one screen without having to scroll. Several items do not work for me, but I only recently became a full customer and maybe I’m still technically ‘mid-switch’ so that is why. Not sure what is supposed to be in this heading on “My Tariff” however:

It appears to remain on the header when I click the back-button to go back to the main page and subsequent pages - but disappears when I refresh the page.

I agree with @xxx that it would be better to amalgamate the two payment buttons to have “Payments & Statements” and put the current balance and monthly amount the top boxes, with a history of transactions below. The two are closely related.

Finally, is there a specific reason you switched the order of the sign-in/facebook log-in buttons? I almost got caught out!

We supply your energy now @thirstforwine, so it should all work ok for you. Which elements didn’t work?

The error message box is designed to disappear after clicking “ok”. Do you think we should remove it after pressing back for convenience?

Thanks for thoughts on payments & statements sections. Good to have agreement there :slight_smile:

Hmm, I don’t know if there was a specific reason. Which way round do you prefer?

Yes, Will, that makes sense to me.

OK, so:

• clicking OK on the error message does clear it, thanks. Not sure why it appears though? I assume it was missing info on my account
  • I do suggest it disappears if you click back if it is related to the page I was on, and is therefore no longer relevant, otherwise it gets confusing
  • the missing information is in the “My Tariff” box. Is that meant to be just a download button, or is information meant to appear?
  • [EDIT: while I typed the above, it appeared. I am not sure why it was not there before - I had visited and refreshed the page many times]
  • the alignment and size of content in the “My info” box is odd. There is a lot of wasted space, and PLENTY of room for the titles, but that means that my actual information such as email and address barely fit or wrap oddly
  • as for login, I don’t really care, but switching them could affect those who are used to the other way. Personally I HATE using FB credentials for login and if it appears first I might accidentally click it and start a process I try to avoid, so I would separate them more, or put the regular email login first

The new login doesn’t seem much different to me.

• I do agree the login click should be on the right side where the facebook click currently sits. I believe there is a tendency to click on the right of two buttons, regardless of what it may say. Unless you are in China, when it is reversed.

• I would like to see all invoices and payments on one table, with filters, or with sort order.

• and with an excel export function. So I can see where my real usage stands compared to your estimates. A monthly accrual of utility charges vs how much I have paid in.

That’s all.
PSA

OK, so: - clicking OK on the error message does clear it, thanks. Not sure why it appears though? I assume it was missing info on my account - I do suggest it disappears if you click back if it is related to the page I was on, and is therefore no longer relevant, otherwise it gets confusing - the missing information is in the "My Tariff" box. Is that meant to be just a download button, or is information meant to appear? - [EDIT: while I typed the above, it appeared. I am not sure why it was not there before - I had visited and refreshed the page many times] - the alignment and size of content in the "My info" box is odd. There is a lot of wasted space, and PLENTY of room for the titles, but that means that my actual information such as email and address barely fit or wrap oddly - as for login, I don't really care, but switching them could affect those who are used to the other way. Personally I HATE using FB credentials for login and if it appears first I might accidentally click it and start a process I try to avoid, so I would separate them more, or put the regular email login first -

Thanks, I’ll pass this all on to the tech guys.

The My Tariff box is supposed to show a table with all your tariff details. So it’ll include unit rates, standing charge, exit fees (none), dual fuel discounts, etc. If it appeared out of nowhere then it could have been that the tech guys updated the page while you were looking at it.

The new login doesn't seem much different to me.
  • I do agree the login click should be on the right side where the facebook click currently sits. I believe there is a tendency to click on the right of two buttons, regardless of what it may say. Unless you are in China, when it is reversed.

• I would like to see all invoices and payments on one table, with filters, or with sort order.

• and with an excel export function. So I can see where my real usage stands compared to your estimates. A monthly accrual of utility charges vs how much I have paid in.

That’s all.
PSA

Login on right seems most popular so far. I’ll pass that on. Plus it doesn’t make sense to change how it works for no good reason.
I’ll pass this all on. Export to Excel sounds useful, and if we can put things together in the same tables then we’ll look into that too.

Thanks!
Will

Estimated Annual Cost not set up correctly in v2. (Gas missing?)

One thing - I used the new pages to add a reading of both gas and electricity. Only the gas showed up. I didn’t say anything as we are warned it can take a time, but since it was days ago, I would have thought it should be there by now, but not on my account (on either new or old pages)

tried to enter my meter readings via the beta site. the electricity readings form would not accept the final digit of my night reading (the final one before the decimal place). The cursor moved into that field, but would not accept input.

Looks like elec readings aren’t playing properly yet then. I’ll pass this on to the tech guys. See what they say.

@thirstforwine @coles What were the values for the readings that you were trying to enter? Just so I can see if we find them hiding somewhere.

Strangely (or thanks to some intervention) the electricity meter reading magically appeared today. It is now showing up on my list as having been entered on 31/3 - which means it has taken since then to appear although the gas reading, which was entered at the same time, appeared literally within minutes (while I was still testing).

@thirstforwine Excellent. I’ll make sure that the guys know that it’s taken so long. It could be that they’ve done some wizardry in the meantime to free it up from wherever it was stuck.

@xxx the tariff section is still being worked on, so the EACs will be a bit dodgy until then.

> What were the values for the readings that you were trying to enter?

Day: 025807
Night: 005221 ← couldn’t enter the ‘1’

I didn’t press submit. I did enter them via the MyBulb v1 meter reading page, though.

Please refund to my normal account :slight_smile:

> What were the values for the readings that you were trying to enter?

Day: 025807
Night: 005221 ← couldn’t enter the ‘1’

I didn’t press submit. I did enter them via the MyBulb v1 meter reading page, though.

Thanks man, I’ll pass this on to the tech team.

![](upload://6i7JrIroRB06OqGrCz2s2qC1PnN.png)

Please refund to my normal account :slight_smile:

:open_mouth:

Hmm, yeah. That might not be correct. Thanks for the screenshot. I’ll pop that over to tech too.

April is missing on my fuel usage graph. Axis reads Mar then May.