Help with changing to single rate tariff from Economy 7

Hello,

I am currently struggling with the increase in energy costs, my electricity bills are already nearly unaffordable in winter as my flat is fully electric. I am spending around £180 per month in winter, and around £40 per month in summer - the difference between the two is entirely due to my heating. I live in a small one bedroom flat and during the winter I heat only my living room during the day, to around 19C. I cannot keep paying these costs.

I have realised that I would quite possibly be better off on a single rate tariff rather than Economy 7 which I’m currently on, as the overwhelming majority of my electricity usage comes from my heating which is only switched on during the day and evening. My night time electricity usage is very low and I don’t use the heating overnight.

Can someone please advise the best way to confirm if I’d be better off on a single rate tariff, and if it is possible to change?

Thanks

Hi @shannonh

Thanks for your post :sunny:

Does your home have storage or immersion heaters? We would need to know a little more about your heating set up before we could advise what tariff it would be best for you to be on.

Thanks
Eleanor :bulb:

Hi Eleanor,

Thanks for your reply. I have an immersion heater for hot water but I don’t have storage heaters - I have electric panel/convection heaters.

As I mentioned (and detailed my costs in my original post) the overwhelming majority of my electricity usage is from my heating which is only in use during the day and not during my Economy 7 night rate hours. The electricity used by my immersion heater is negligible as it is only switched on for a couple of hours in a 24 hour period.

I really feel I would be better off on a single rate tariff but if there is a way to confirm this before switching perhaps by taking notes of my meter readings then I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Shannon