High bill

My bill for 1 month has come in at £135!! I never use this and my smart meter reads £41.45 electric and £12.20 gas…£15 from 23rd July so that is total of approximately £68 so where has the £135 come from??

My bill for 1 month has come in at £135!! I never use this and my smart meter reads £41.45 electric and £12.20 gas...£15 from 23rd July so that is total of approximately £68 so where has the £135 come from??

If you look at your statement it should show how your bill came to £135?

My bill for 1 month has come in at £135!! I never use this and my smart meter reads £41.45 electric and £12.20 gas...£15 from 23rd July so that is total of approximately £68 so where has the £135 come from??

As Allan says, the bill you’re looking at details exactly the calculation that will answer your question.

So, what does it say?

It gives me breakdown yes but states estimates all the way through?! I have been taking pictures of my SMART meter from the start so I know what I have used and what I haven’t and certainly have not used anywhere near that even with VAT added on

It gives me breakdown yes but states estimates all the way through?! I have been taking pictures of my SMART meter from the start so I know what I have used and what I haven't and certainly have not used anywhere near that even with VAT added on

Although you have taken photographs have these been supplied to Bulb? Have you been supplying meter readings other than by your photographs?

Yes I gave one when I joined on 23rd july and another on 19th August

You’re approaching this with the wrong angle. You’re describing the problem via your experience of the end result, rather than what the fault actually is. When you contact Bulb about this, don’t complain about the “high bill” since that is irrelevant. It’s no use asking “so where has the £135 come from??” when you already know from the information that you have already that it’s come from the fact your bill is based on estimated readings. If you incorrectly describe a problem it takes much longer to resolve, particularly so when level 1 support is not very knowledgeable as is currently the case with Bulb. The question in your original post is equivalent to the people who phone up the IT helpdesk and say “my email isn’t working” when in fact they mean the whole PC is dead.

With Bulb you have only a small “window of opportunity” to enter your meter readings and have them appear on your bill. This is typically 1-2 days before your statement date. If you became a customer on the 23rd, your statement date is likely the 21st or 22nd, meaning your meter readings should be entered on maybe the 19th or 20th. Depending on the exact dates, it could be that you entered your readings a day too early. Or it could be that the readings weren’t used because they were too far different from the “expected” value and failed the “sanity check”. Or there could be any number of other reasons why your reading wasn’t used on your bill.

What you need to do is contact Bulb and ask why your reading wasn’t used. But don’t start quoting pounds for this and pounds for that, and talking about what your IHD said you’d used, that just complicates matters unnecessarily. Just ask plain and simple why your reading wasn’t used. You could also email in another photo of your meter ask for confirmation that the reading has been logged.

At the end of the day, remember that your direct debit value stays the same, and even if you get a larger than expected bill based on estimates it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference. It’s only your Bulb account that is debited, not your real bank account. It’ll all get sorted out soon enough once an actual reading is used on the bill. It’s not worth getting too worked up over.