High bills!

I was with bulb before we moved house for gas and electricity and have changed our new house over to them just for electricity, as we have oil here. Our new electricity bills are double what I was paying for both before, despite moving to a smaller house! We do now have a septic tank and borehole which must use some, but surely not this much! Could my meter be inaccurate?

I was with bulb before we moved house for gas and electricity and have changed our new house over to them just for electricity, as we have oil here. Our new electricity bills are double what I was paying for both before, despite moving to a smaller house! We do now have a septic tank and borehole which must use some, but surely not this much! Could my meter be inaccurate?

Is the actual cost of your energy based on regular monthly meter readings.

I assume you are not confusing the cost of your energy with that of your direct debit payments?

No, I am making a standing payment, but after a few meter readings, realised that it isn’t anywhere near enough! I have done a few experiments today, by switching off various trip switches to isolate the borehole from the rest of the house, I suspect that is the culprit. I used the 800imp/kWh light to calculate my usage. It flashes once every 5s when just the borehole is on and once every 29s when just the house is on ( only background stuff like fridge), suggesting it’s using quite a lot of power. According to my calculations, of usage per month, the borehole accounts for half of it! I probably need to get it checked out, not sure that can be right!

No, I am making a standing payment, but after a few meter readings, realised that it isn’t anywhere near enough! I have done a few experiments today, by switching off various trip switches to isolate the borehole from the rest of the house, I suspect that is the culprit. I used the 800imp/kWh light to calculate my usage. It flashes once every 5s when just the borehole is on and once every 29s when just the house is on ( only background stuff like fridge), suggesting it’s using quite a lot of power. According to my calculations, of usage per month, the borehole accounts for half of it! I probably need to get it checked out, not sure that can be right!

What is a borehole and what does it do? Don’t you have a model number and some specifications for the system that details its electric usage? What is the rating of the circuit breaker for it?

Edit: Ok, I Googled, it’s the pump motor for a well? I always thought boreholes released water under natural pressure and didn’t need a pump or anything like that. I can see the motor might use quite a bit of power, but surely it doesn’t run for that long when topping up whatever header tank or something that you have?

New house with septic tank and borehole, sounds like quite a bit of research is needed here as to how much it all might cost to run.

a flash rate of 1 every 5 seconds indicates a usage of 0.72 KW/H

sorry dont know what happened but posted before I had finished, anyway, 0.72 KWH is typical for a domestic borehole whilst running however it should only run whilst there is a demand and a float or pressure switch should cut off bore pump when there is no demand. With all taps etc and water using appliances turned off after about 10 mins there should be no current draw ie no flashing light on meter. The other scenario is a fault in the pump itself causing low output and therefore extended running or a leak in the delivery pipework this could be underground or down the bore . Re septic tank is it simply that or a bio-sics type treatment type unit? if just a tank there should be no electricty used if a more modern and complex treatment unit there will be power usage but no idea on consumption, hope this helps