How about a cheaper way to watch TV?

I used to watch HD using my first HD TV. I realised that it was using too much energy and bought a different HD TV. This time, I got a low energy user and hoped it would save me money over the next few years. The specifications on HD TVs and 4K HD TVs helps a little when we decide which are the cheaper ones to run, yet when we consider the way we save money, it makes sense to get a Smart 4K HD HDR TV to gain from a few extras. If you’ve got a Sky dish or satellite dish that’s not being used now, the existing cable could fit into the back of the HD TV if it’s got a satellite cable input there. I like the option as an alternative to having Freeview receivers and their TV aerial reception problems. I also found that the TV itself tunes into Freeview so that provided an excellent picture quality for Freeview rather than just a Freeview HD set top box. Smart TVs have various apps and mine has a baseline of these on-screen. I select for NOW TV or Netflix or YouTube and others as well as the AV for a DVD Recorder or the HDMI options. We know that discounts come around during holiday times with websites like eBay and so on. I chose the RicherSounds TV option instead. It offers a 6-year warranty cover and another option is the John Lewis 5-year warranty cover. Once satisfied with my Smart TV, I felt all was well. I didn’t need a fancier and more expensive TV, so why pay more than £400 anyway? I just like the idea of saving money to use it better somewhere else, don’t you?

1 Like

This is a energy supplier forum. This feels like a selling poug for TVs.

Interesting point about better TV’s being more energy efficient. However have you done an analysis into the added cost of manufacture etc?

Also how much extra do you end up paying as I am assuming the more efficient TV’s will be more expensive anyways? For an average household would they really use the TV for more than a few hours a day? In this case does it really warrant an upgrade to your existing TV? Surely the lowest carbon footprint advice would be to stick with the TV you currently have to save on the carbon emissions of transport, fitment, manufacture etc. of a new TV.

I agree that savings would depend on the electric supplier’s costs and the number of days and nights hours. I had to calculate based on my home use to get the savings figured out. For many families, upgrading or downgrading Tvs is usually when the current TV no longer works rather than just switching to use less power per year…

DIFFERENT TVS… POWER SAVINGS GUIDE…
Based on each TV lasting for at least 5 years…

TV1 HD TV 260W cost £350 to £400
TV2 4K HD Smart TV2 100W cost £360
TV3 Smaller Budget TV 65W cost £120

8 day hours at 14.65p 2 night hours at 7.42p

TV1 2 day units and 0.5 night units total 33p
TV2 40% of 33p means a reduced total 13p
TV3 25% of 33p means a reduced total 8p.

In 2 years, TV2 saves 20p x 730 days £146
In 2 years, TV3 saves 25p x 730 days £182

In 5 years, TV2 saves £146 x2.5 total £365
In 5 years, TV3 saves £182 x2.5 total £455
So if not using TV1 and using the others…
TV2 pays for itself in 5 years, TV3 in 1.5 years.

So a smaller screen budget TV saves quite a lot.
A larger screen 4K HD Smart TV takes much longer…

I prefer very long warranty cover that some sellers offer.
In my case, I preferred to upgrade to a 4K Smart TV…
I got a 4K Smart TV with a back panel satellite input.
This was an immediate alternative to Freeview as that
can have reception problems in the Winter. So saving
on power costs wasn’t all to be considered.

One thing to add to this is that the most power hungry parts of modern TVs are the backlights, and the processor(s) for processing/decoding of high quality content.

You can save a considerable amount by just turning down the brightness of your TV from its eyeball searing defaults to a more sensible level. A lot of TVs also now have automatic brightness options which are also worth turning on.

Another energy saving tip is to consider powering off the TV at the plug when not being used (say overnight) - leaving Smart TVs in standby often means they remain WiFi connected and over time can use a surprising amount of energy.

I connected the TV with a Smart plug (as the socket was hard to reach) and power it down completely overnight - the smart plug (zigbee not WiFi) uses a fraction of the power the TV uses in standby…

I’ve known smart plugs to use more power than a modern TV in standby so I’d recommend to anyone considering this that they measure both if power saving is their reasoning for the plug.

Many TVs also have an option to switch off the network and fancy features when in standby so they use very little power at all in that deep sleep mode.

My TV had an option of fast or slow boot up. I took the slow boot option, it takes the TV long to start but shuts down all the apps. I had to unplug the TV to force a reboot if the flaky apps weren’t working.