How about daylight spectrum energy-saving bulbs to save money?

Some time ago, I invested about £35 to buy 10 daylight spectrum energy-saving light bulbs. These are available on eBay for the bayonet bulb or screw bulb units and in different watt values. The daylight eco-style bulbs have been fitted since the 1st of May without any problems at all. These will help me lower my BULB energy bills and especially now in the Twilight Zone of Autumn and Winter.

1 Like

It a good suggestion. I don’t really think people are quite aware of how much more electricity halogen type bulbs use in comparison to LED. I recently checked our bathroom spot GU5.3 bulbs to find that they were all Halogens at 50W each totalling 400W for the two bathrooms. Replacing these with some Philips GU5.3 LED Spotlight 7W (50W) which reduced this to a total of 49W. These have a CRI of 80 which is fine for the bathroom.

Though I would strongly recommend staying away from any CFL type “eco” lights. These still usually use quite a bit more electricity than LEDs and seem to perform much worse over time, taking longer to reach max luminescence and flickering issue. With that said I’ve also found that some of the cheaper LED bulbs off of Amazon also have flickering issues over time.

For now I’ve stuck with Philips and OSRAM LEDs and a few older DIAL LEDs from our local B&Q, which have worked very well. Unfortunately the slightly increased cost for qulaity LEDs over Halogens means that these bulbs can often take +5-7 years to pay themselves back. Thus I find this more an exercise to help the planet then saving me money.

Bulb had a long topic on LED bulbs: The Decent LED thread (high CRI/R9 LEDs). Which helped me pick out a few high CRI Philips Master LED Spotlight (4000K) for a hallway.

1 Like

£3.50 per bulb??? You must be made of money! I can get quite a few bulbs for that price!

£3.5 for a LED bulb is pretty normal for medium quality LED, if that’s alarming see the LEDs in my post. Personally I’ve had experience with bulk cheap Chinese LED bulb orders off of Amazon, the vast majority of them flicker, dim over time, completely cease to work, etc and almost never have any warranty. I’ll stick with Philips LEDs for now.

2 Likes

@wulf, £3.50 per lamp really isn’t very much if they last (as is my experience) >5 years and use 10 times less energy. It also doesn’t take many lamp changes to be more than a few dozen pounds worth of hassle. Zero maintenance is vastly underrated.

They also remove the requirement to repaint your ceilings when your halogen lamps go pop and shoot soot all around the fixture.

1 Like

My parents have a daylight CFL fixture and my god it’s horrible. It’s basically just green and blues in the spectrum.

I would have thought that most people would have some kind of lower energy fixtures by now though - no kind of daylight lamp is likely to save much money in that case, indeed the higher CRI fixture actually tend to have slightly lower efficiency, but they’re worth it.

2 Likes

Good luck with them generating enough light to be able to see without straining your eyes!

Have you ever actually seen an LED fixture?

They’re almost always sold with a halogen equivalent rating, which is based on the actual light output of the fixture. There’s not going to be any difference there in terms of eye strain.

3 Likes

Not the ones I have used. You just can’t beat a good old fashioned light bulb. Hopefully we will see these back in the shops when we exist the European Disunion next year. You can’t beat the light that the old bulbs belt out. I still have a supply, having stocked up years ago.

I’d recommend you try some of the LED lamps recommended in the other thread. You absolutely can beat heating up a bit of metal until it glows hot and incidentally creates light.

If/when we exit the EU, high power halogen and filament lamps are not likely to become more available as it just doesn’t make sense. There isn’t the demand for them any more. Manufacturers are quite rightly ramping up production of LEDs and stopping production of old fashioned lamps.

1 Like

People say there “isn’t the demand for them anymore” reminds me of the old joke about the man who goes into a shop to be told by the assistant “I keep telling customers every day-there isn’t any demand for them”.

I didn’t necessarily say that there isn’t the demand from the general public, as I would agree that there is, but I don’t agree there is a good reason for that demand for the reasons stated above.

The lack of demand is because most of the rest of the world is moving towards restricting them in the same manner, so manufacturers aren’t going to start producing them again just for some people in the UK.

It frustrates me that highstreet shops (where people just go and buy products like lamps without research or decent knowledge of what they’re buying) don’t tend to sell LEDs worth buying. IKEA is one of the few places that do, but they’re in the minority. Places like Wilko sell crappy LEDs for similar prices to what we’ve been discussing, and people buy them, then decide they dislike LEDs as a whole when they turn out to look crap and fail quickly.

2 Likes

Let me get this corrected. You are so price conscious, that a £3.50 LED bulb is a major concern to yourself. However, you don’t seem at all concerned by the sheer increased electricity required to run old style Halogen bulbs, which will over time cost you significantly more than using LED?

Seems like the foundation of your argument is rather flawed. I mean by all means go ahead and use Halogen bulbs if that’s what you subjectively prefer. But basing that reasoning on LED cost per bulb and their performance is ridiculous.

A Halogen which produces 300Lm and a LED that produces 300Lm both emit the same amount of light, maybe the Kelvin value of some of the LEDs you’ve tried where too cold, I certainly prefer warmer LEDs.

1 Like

The fact that 50% of the people of the UK are like wulf explains why this country has gone down the toilet. Backward looking luddites. I’d hope that it couldn’t possibly get any worse, but when the Tories somehow manage to get a majority again in December we’re going to look back on the last three years as the good times. Quite frankly I’m terrified.

3 Likes

As I said it is very fortunate if someone feels flushed enough to spend £35 on light bulbs. As for them lasting years and years as I am in my 60th year that is not a selling point for me as I may not get my money’s worth!

Perhaps you will be one of the first to take the microchip in your right hand or forehead and who knows you may decide to volunteer to be the first transhuman! Good luck with your robotic dystopia! I hope that it works out well for you son!

This is another attitude I don’t understand. There are shades of grey between the Amish and the Matrix. It’s not one or the other.

2 Likes

On that point we are in agreement. I am not totally against new technology for I use a laptop computer, have an electricity and Internet supply and ride on buses. However the direction society is travelling towards this nightmare technological dystopia is truly disturbing but then again it may be a generational thing.

I think you are correct.

Back on topic, modern LEDs are simply better in every conceivable way. I replaced 8x 50W GU10s in my kitchen with 3.5W LEDs. The light is better than it ever was and now uses only 28W instead of 400W. I mean for crying out loud 400W! That’s nearly half a bar of an electric fire!

3 Likes

Have you tried wax candles? Now that truly is ‘green’! During the frequent power cuts in 1973 it was all that we had for hours on end!

1 Like