How can I get SMETS2 smart meters installed?

I have old smart meters installed which are pretty much useless…I’d like the latest meters installed so that I don’t have to send readings and also so I can monitor usage

You have to wait until they are converted to SMETS2 if I’m not mistaken. This doesn’t involve physically changing the meters.

You can get the meters physically changed to SMETS2 but at a cost to yourself.

I’m sure someone at bulb will be along to confirm soon.

Hi @nick.tripp - welcome back to Community :wave:

And thank you @PoweredByVeg for helping out here, you’re not far off!

So Nick you have SMETS1 meters which meant they were only smart with the installing supplier. However, we are working to make your meters smart again by enrolling them onto the smart network (the DCC). We are hoping this will be done by the end of year, but you’ll be notified by email when we can read your meters :slightly_smiling_face:

All the best,
Megan

Thanks Megan,

I’m fairly sure I was told something similar when I first joined bulb around 2 or 3 years ago……am I to assume this will definitely happen this year? (I realise we had a pandemic and this delayed things).

Regards
Nick

Hi @nick.tripp :wave:

It’s been a long process getting the meters enrolled onto the smart network, and we can now read a large proportion of first generation smart meters like yours.

We’re on track to start reading all first generation smart meters by the end of the year, so hopefully it shouldn’t be too much longer for you. If your meter isn’t sending automatic readings by January 2022, please do let us know.

Take care,

Niamh :bulb:

Hi,
I looked at the help re smart meters, it said to request via my Account area but unless I’m going mad, there’s no option to request an smart meter installation?

I must be going daft too as I can’t see how to request this.

Hi @Mcwhiskers and @gareth1 :wave: and welcome to Community!

You can book a smart installation through your Bulb account, just click here, answer some questions about the property and select an available date.

Let me know if you have any questions about this :slightly_smiling_face:

– Meg :bulb:

Hi @megan_at_bulb
It looks like I’m going to have to wait a little longer…

You already have a smart meter

We’re working on ways to read it automatically

You already have a smart meter, and we’re working on ways for it to send meter readings automatically. We’ll be in touch when that happens.

Hi @gareth1 :wave:

Looks like you have an older generation smart meter.

We are working on enrolling these sorts of meters onto our network, so in the future we should be able to communicate with them.

Did you have any more questions on this ?

Ele :bulb:

Hi, I have just moved my gas over to bulb too and would really like a smart meter for my gas (already have one for electric). However, when I click the link you have kindly put above, it just tells me I already have a smart meter, i do for electric but not for gas…how can I order one for gas too?

Hi @han_cooke_han :wave: - welcome to Community!

So you do actually have a SMETS2 gas meter, which is a smart meter, but it looks like we can’t communicate with it at the moment as your previous supplier wasn’t able to get it working properly when they installed it. This means that when you switched to us, we weren’t able to start communicating with your gas smart meter, as it wasn’t connected to the smart network.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do right now to get around this. At the moment, only the supplier that installs a meter is able to connect it to the smart network. We’ll be in touch as soon as this changes.

In the meantime, you’ll need to submit manual meter readings at least once every 3 months. This will help keep your account up to date. If you’re not sure how to take a reading, we’ve written a guide on how to read your meter.

– Meg :bulb:

Just chatted with one of your agents who was very helpful and courteous a gent named Ollie.
Currenty I have a Gen 1 Electric smart meter and a standard mechanical gas meter and was enquiring about getting a smart gas meter.
Ollie explained that since I already have one smart meter Bulb could not fit and replace new second generation meters.
I presume this is a Government dictate which you are following.
This is highly unsatisfactory especially as the gas is my biggest spend over the colder periods.
How do I register an official complaint?
We all need to be Eco friendly and I try my best to save energy where and when I can, I have faith in smart meters being an invaluable tool in helping with this.

Hi @howelld02,

Thanks for your post! And welcome to community :wave:

We really appreciate your help and everything you are saying about smart meters. This is extremely frustrating for us too.

I hope you don’t mind but I have merged your thread with a previous one, so you can see what everyone else is saying around the topic.

Please let me know if you would still like me to raise a complaint for you and I can drop you an email

– Daisy :bulb:

I would like to understand who decides if I can get a Gas Smart meter; is it Bulb or are you following Government rules?
Either way I would like to register a complaint and I may decide to discuss with OFGEM.
Thank you

Hi @howelld02 it’s a little complicated but I will explain as best I can. At the moment, there is a large centralised fee associated with removing a smart meter unless it is clearly faulty. This is something Bulb doesn’t control, and is to do with the fact that smart meter installations are subsidised on the assumption that it’s a permanent exchange to smart meters.

So while Bulb could technically offer to remove your SMETS1 meter and replace it with a SMETS2, this is discouraged by regulations and would cost Bulb a lot of money. I think there may be a couple of suppliers who do exchange SMETS1 meters to SMETS2 but this is extremely costly.

We’re confident that all SMETS1 meters will be enrolled onto the central smart network in time, and it is happening, but different makes/models are being enrolled one-by-one so we can’t give a clear ETA on your particular meter. - Miriam :electric_plug:

I understand your reply regarding my electricity meter, but you did not appear to address my question regarding my gas meter which is not a smart meter. It’s an old fashioned imperial drum meter

Oops, so sorry I missed that @howelld02. So unfortunately the SMETS2 gas meters we have wouldn’t be able to send us readings if we installed one for you, as gas smart meters communicate via the comms hub attached to the smart electricity meter. So you can’t have just a smart gas meter - just mechanically speaking. To get you a smart gas meter we’d have to replace the electricity meter.

In the future, when your SMETS1 electricity meter is enrolled on the DCC network it’s possible that a SMETS2 gas meter may be compatible, so you’d be able to get a smart gas meter installed. I’m quite surprised you didn’t get dual-fuel smart meters installed initially, is this because the gas meter is far away from the electricity meter?

Little known fact for you all. All the info gathered from your smart meters isn’t actually sent/processed in a uk location. Its actually sent to North America, cant remember if it was U.S or Canada as its a few years ago BUT i was told to keep stum about it as it’s not really something they wanted getting out being smart meters are already a bit controversial . Now that bothered me at the time for some reason…

I only bought the property 14 months ago and the meters haven’t changed, so I guess I will need to wait to catch up with the modern world