How come Bulb do not inform us when they increase prices?

When I joined, my Tariff was 13.36 p/kWh for day, and 6.26 p/kWh for night, but now it’s 14.02p per kWh for day, and 6.58p per kWh for night.

What gives, am I supposed to just keep checking every month to see if it creeps up? I’ve not received any emails about any price increase as far as I am aware.

It’s not huge admittedly, but just seems a little bit shady to me

@darren8792, I’m guessing like another recent thread, you’re seeing ex-VAT prices in one place, and VAT prices in another.

13.36 x 1.05 (5% VAT on energy) conveniently equals 14.02

Bulb will always let you know when prices change.

Out of interest, where did you see the prices initially and where are you reading them from now?

"It’s not huge admittedly, but just seems a little bit shady to me "

You will probably find a few prices don’t tally due to how they produce their statements, rounding up, rounding down, average CVs etc.
Having been through all this I can say that there is nothing shady about their prices (and I check it to the penny every month) . I would assume they are piggy in the middle trying to please all on how the statement is structured, not an easy task.

This type of thread appears quite often so it does seem like they could do with making the figures a little clearer!

@darren8792 That’s just your VAT being included on the website, and then removed on Welcome Packs and Statements. We make very clear announcements about price changes, accompanied with blog posts, personal emails and the change in unit rates shown in your statement.

As @scudo hinted at, we are required by Ofgem to stick to strict guidelines regarding when we include VAT and when we don’t but I understand it can come as a shock.

I am sure it’s been covered on other threads, but we are always looking at ways of making our statements clearer, so all your feedback is considered and passed on to the people that can make the necessary changes. The changes won’t happen overnight, but we will always explain our reasoning and our challenges so you’re not in the dark.

I am sure it's been covered on other threads, but we are always looking at ways of making our statements clearer, so all your feedback is considered and passed on to the people that can make the necessary changes. The changes won't happen overnight, but we will always explain our reasoning and our challenges so you're not in the dark.
:+1:

I must admit that I also assumed there had been a price increase as the values on the website (my account section) were higher than I saw in the welcome pack (I had missed the small print).

Rather than include small print, would it not be possible (allowed by ofgem) to simply put ‘+VAT @5%’ on the prices or ‘(??.??p inc VAT)’. This would make it a lot easier to read and would help reduce confusion.

Hi @Pretzel40k , I understand your point and I think we would choose to include VAT if this wasn’t a requirement from Ofgem to not include it.
Keeping things as simple as possible is our priority and I think the cases where there is an incorrect assumption about the change in prices is actually relatively small and most people will cross check back to this table where they see the “Prices exclude VAT” line.

I guess our sentiment would be that we understand it’s slightly confusing but it’s a relatively small amount of members that don’t go back and check the small print, so we’re unlikely to make any changes to the welcome pack for now.

Cheers,
Rob

Can’t agree with your response Rob. I joined Bulb 10 days ago. I’d just spent 2 or 3 weeks searching for better energy rates, greener credentials, good customer service, robust website with clear pages.
Bulb Energy scored top marks for me on these criteria - UNTIL - I thought I would follow up the emails you’ve sent me on joining. Surprised to find that your tariff rates quoted in MyBulb pages showed an increase over the rates shown in my welcome pack. Bulb’s score moved down a few notches!
I was all set to ring you to question this (was Bulb slipping in a sly increase?) when I found the community forum responses indicating that VAT explained the differences! OK . .
However, I can’t share your view that it’s “slightly confusing”. and affecting relatively few members. Surely, if you want Bulb to stand out as a company offering “great customer service”, you need to correct this anomaly. Don’t wait for your puzzled customers to start ringing you - please get it sorted now. A relatively cheap amendment to your system I would think?

hitch… I put some details in to a compare site and it appears that some if not all quote with VAT included, it would appear the legislation insists your bill is ex vat with vat added on as a total in the actual statement.

In my opinion its probably another example of government intervention to simplify something and end up confusing it.