How do I get a Bulb smart meter?

Despite what the Help Centre suggests, the separate display for my old British Gas smart meter no longer displays my electricity reading and the actual meter is difficult to read because of its location.

The electricity meter is in the house and gas is outside a few yards away: will I be able to include both on the smart meter?

According to https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/comment/13607/#Comment_13607 :

The smart meter rollout will begin in late 2018.
and from https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/comment/13632/#Comment_13632
Hi! Unfortunately, we can’t be too precise on when Smart Meters will be rolled out in each area. The reason is that we depend on third parties in rolling them out (The DCC, who manage communication between suppliers and smart meters, and the metering contractors who will actually install your meter). We will be in contact when we have availability in your area.

If you’d like to sign up for the trial see https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/comment/13560/#Comment_13560

… if you pop over to https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10kQ9xBGxZPDNPs5EWkk-8oEDNDvCj-VMWVfTNUzW5b0/viewform?edit_requested=true you’ll be able to sign up for the waiting list.

Both meters will become ‘smart’ once they are upgraded: they’ll be separate smart meters but can communicate to each other (and other nearby meters) to send readings etc.

Damn @RichyB smashing it as always!

We’re on track to start rolling out second generation smart meters from Summer 2018.

The timeline has been pushed back from the original plan of January 2018 because of industry-wide software delays that impact all suppliers.

This software, which is commissioned by the Government, is still not functioning as it should. Unfortunately, all energy suppliers are waiting for this software to be fully functional before installing second generation (SMETS2) smart meters in larger volumes.

Let me know if you want me to put you on the trial list

Ben

@“Ben at Bulb”, what’s the latest you can tell us regarding the availability of required software/integration and Bulb’s side of things?

Are we still on track for a trial rollout from June? How’s the Bulb back-end going?

@mowcius Is this regarding SMETS1 software integration? For that, I believe we are waiting on the okay for OFGEM but there are predictions on being able to communicate with first-generation smart meters by the end of 2018, which is exciting!

In terms of the SMETSII roll out, I don’t believe there’s any delay on our side, the delay is caused by the software that makes the meter connected to the DCC, I know that there are about 80 SMETSII in circulation around the country, which is a good sign!

We’ll try and keep you update as soon as the information becomes more available.

@“Ben at Bulb”, it was just a general question on the state of things. I’ve been out of the loop for a few months.

Have you guys been given a timescale for the availabilty of the DCC software/integration?

Hi @mowcius thanks for getting in touch with us, nice to hear from you again :). The targeted beta testing for taking a SMETs 1 and making it “smart” again is early summer, SMETS 2 beta is yet to be confirmed but likely the middle of summer.

Hi @mowcius thanks for getting in touch with us, nice to hear from you again :). The targeted beta testing for taking a SMETs 1 and making it "smart" again is early summer, SMETS 2 beta is yet to be confirmed but likely the middle of summer.
@"George at Bulb", it's good to be back! That's interesting. I was under the assumption that the SMETS1 integration was going to be around the end of the year, and much later than the SMETS2 rollout.

Have you had meters in for testing internally yet? If so, what have you been trying? Any comments?

Oh and @DavidF, British Gas just like to disable their in home displays when you switch suppliers. There’s no technical reason why it can’t display your electricity reading, they just don’t want it to.

Hi @mowcius thanks for getting in touch with us, nice to hear from you again :). The targeted beta testing for taking a SMETs 1 and making it "smart" again is early summer, SMETS 2 beta is yet to be confirmed but likely the middle of summer.
@"George at Bulb", it's good to be back! That's interesting. I was under the assumption that the SMETS1 integration was going to be around the end of the year, and much later than the SMETS2 rollout.

Have you had meters in for testing internally yet? If so, what have you been trying? Any comments?

Hi @mowcius - We haven’t had any in to test yet, and it’s not something we’ll be doing at our office. However, we will have someone present at the Data Communications Company’s (DCC) test labs when they’re testing them. We expect this to be in June :slight_smile:

Hi @mowcius - We haven't had any in to test yet, and it's not something we'll be doing at our office. However, we will have someone present at the Data Communications Company's (DCC) test labs when they're testing them. We expect this to be in June :)
As there are no doubt going to be a number of different companies producing SMETS2 meters and IHDs, what points will influence Bulb's decision of which ones to choose?