How do I get a new (not Smart) meter

My gas meter is 5 months short of being 20 years old. As I am about to renovate the kitchen and the meter sits in a corner of the kitchen floor, I don’t want to have to remove units for any time in the coming years when a new meter is installed. I have been told by Bulb that smart meters don’t work in my village but I’m happy to have a non-Smart one. Any ideas about how I can get this done? - 20 years old doesn’t seem quite safe to me tbh

1 Like

You can get info on changing the meter here.

Whether Bulb will replace it due to age is their decision. Similarly regarding smart meters, it depends on if you’re in an area where they are currently concentrating on installations. Either way, you’ll need to contact Bulb to discuss your options.

If you’re worried about safety, building a kitchen around a meter such that it can’t be easily replaced without removing units doesn’t sound like a great idea.

1 Like

Thanks for the link and comments - I will pursue it with Bulb. I wouldn’t make the meter inaccessible btw - just need to find some sort of pull out unit that allows access / readings. Head height might be an issue though (under the worktop)!

1 Like

Have you thought about getting the meter moved? Depending on the distance it might be prohibitively expensive, but it sounds like it would be the better solution. Your gas stop tap is typically right next to the meter, and you don’t want to be messing about with pull out units while trying to stop a gas leak.

yes I thought about it - but Cadent want £1200, which is a lot especially as the house needs significant other work. Just moving the current meter within Bulb’s limit isn’t worth it as it is a really bulky thing and it and the pipework are an eyesore. I will make sure it is accessible though :slight_smile:

1 Like