How do you know your meter is yours?

Hi,
I live in a flat on my own, the flat above me has 3 tennant’s. My electricity readings have been really high, especially given I leave the house at 6am and don’t return till 7.30pm.

It just doesn’t make sense to me that my electricity reading is higher than that of a 3 person flat. How can you check which meter actually serves which property?

I’m paying hundreds of pounds more than I’ve ever paid and spending less time at home. Hoping someone can help advise?

Thanks!

You could try and switch everything off, fridge, freezer everything and see if the meter stops running, re check after half hour and the reading should be the same. Then with everything else off boil a couple of kettles of water and see if it changes. It may help identify which is yours.
Make sure and turn all back on when finished.

It just doesn't make sense to me that my electricity reading is higher than that of a 3 person flat.

How do you know your meter reading is higher than theirs?

How can you check which meter actually serves which property?

The landlord ought to have some electrical documentation. Assuming you want to test it for yourself, the only way is to read the meter between two times with a known-load in between. For example, read your meter, then boil the kettle, then read again and see what has changed. This might be tricky unless you can coordinate with the other flat(s) to ensure they aren’t using much electricity at the same time. Perhaps do it in the middle of the night.

Alternatively, you could do it the other way around. Turn everything off in your house, via the main switch on your consumer unit / fuse box to be sure, and leave it off for an hour or so while you check that your meter does not change.

Alternatively, if you have a main circuit breaker next to the meter just switch it off. If your house stays on, or someone else comes to investigate why they have no power, you’ll know what the issue is.

Remember that heat rises though so if you’re on electric heating it may be that you’re effectively heating both flats and the one above you spend basically nothing as they get all of your heat.
I used to live in a pretty leaky place with electric heating but I was above someone else and I know that their bills were significantly larger than mine (they also liked to have the place a lot warmer than I put up with).

It might also be worth comparing the serial numbers on your bill (which should be ‘attached’ to your property) to any printed on the meter. That should identify which meter the national meter database thinks is yours - but if it’s clearly marked ‘Flat 3’ and you are ‘Flat 2’, then there’s definitely a problem somewhere (and at least you’ll be sure which meter to watch when you do the kettle test).